The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2009, 09:58 PM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of
Default going tiny

I got a shipment of #20 mustad in today. to this point smallest I had was #18's. What I'm wondering is if anyone can share pictures of their #20 or smaller flies. I'm looking for inspiration and input on best ways and materials. At this point I'm limited to Grizzly and Dun in these hackle sizes. Anyone care to share?

Click the image to open in full size.

I did a search for a similar thread and appologize if I missed it.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:12 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: going tiny

#30's

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:27 PM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of

Dang Joni, those are some REAL tiny emergers. thanks for that picture

what is used on those for the wing?

for flies in small sizes, how exact do I need to shoot for in dimensions, details and seperation of fly parts...tail, body, thorax etc?

last time I was fishing I turned over a rock with some #20 sized or even smaller black nymph looking creatures. they had visible legs and antenna
Old 09-02-2009, 10:29 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

For wings I use Parapost or Snow shoe bunny feet. I think these are the bunny.
Your flies look awesome. I think you got it down perfect!
Old 09-02-2009, 10:45 PM

its a true pleasure hearing that complement from you Joni. Thanks.

I believe I've got some bunny feet in the drawer and will try tying a few of those emergers...10 sizes larger though pointing me at fur instead of feather was a nice tip.

is that black floss/thread or is there dubbing in there?...looks dubbed and hackled.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:48 PM

Thread with SUPER fine wire. Make sure to get the really webby stuff between the toes. It floats the best.
Pictures!!!!
Old 09-02-2009, 11:00 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

I have a #26 Royal Coachman if I can find it.....it may be where I left it, but I can't see it. I will try and post a picture tomorrow.....I wonder how I will know if I lost it or if it just slid under some lint?
Old 09-02-2009, 11:07 PM

I'll have to dig bunny toes tomorrow but I'll post a pic.

One other question about these small hooks. the ones I got in today, the barb and point is offset from the shank...not parallel. Is it better to leave it or straighten. I can see logic in adding to the gap between the eye and hook point but...whats the word on this?

JJ
Old 09-02-2009, 11:09 PM

I have no idea on the hooks. Never seen that.
KERRY, love to see the Coachman. I did one in #30, with some cool glitter thread instead of peacock and I actually found some hackle pretty darn close.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:16 PM

oh yea...a tiny coachman would be great to see! hope you find it Kerry!! I've actually got some of that "glitter" thread as well. I was sitting here contemplating tying the wings though. Coachman quill wings are not my stong point on 16's. I've used hackle tips on 18's...maybe a cream hackle tip? (don't have white). I'll at least have to try a wolff tomorrow. At this point I'm simply going for search patterns. Going camping/fishing this weekend in the mountains for a couple days with a friend and our sons. There is a wild brown section that I hear takes 18 - 22's, pale duns, BWO's, prince's and pheasant's so have those to tie tomorrow as well....or at least give it my best shot.