The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2009, 09:45 PM

newtofly is on a distinguished road
Default fly tying help

What would be a good starter set of materials that I should get so that I can begin to tie my own flies? (please give links or ideas)
Also, are there any videos, links, or books that you would say are "must have" for a new fly tier?
Thanks for the help.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:08 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of
Default Re: fly tying help

If there is a club in your area I would suggest joining it and asking the same questions. Not that you cannot get help here, but when you are learning to tie and are looking for a first pattern, it helps to check locally. The Woolly Bugger is usually a good multi-species pattern. Chenille, marabou and saddle hackle. If you use YouTube as a resource there are lots of tying demos, though I am sure others can list some DVD's to check out.
If you are looking at buying a vise etc. a Club will again be a helpful information base and some clubs have a deal with a retailer so you can get a bit of a discount. I know the one I belong to gives a 10% discount at a couple of fly shops.
If you do not have a club available, decide on a budget and maybe post that here as well to give the folks here an idea of what price range the vise should be in.
Old 09-07-2009, 12:30 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

We need a little more information...What fish are you going after? Checking at the local library can be a good source of information for books and videos.

Dan
Old 09-07-2009, 05:04 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Based on input from our members I just got the book, Charlie Craven's "Basic Fly Tying". It's now my favorite book. In it Charlie Craven tells you what tools that he uses and why. I wish that I would have had that book when I started. It would have saved some money since I kept stepping up to better and better quality tools. He also tells you what materials to get and why.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:28 PM

Thanks for the info and the book idea. I will search it and try and get it. I found out last week that we do have a fly club here. I would have never guessed a fly club in north Texas but we do. I am going to my first meeting tomorrow night.
I bought a beginners tying kit at Cabelas yesterday and know that I want to tie my own flies. I am just trying to come up with best places to purchase materials. Thanks again for the help and keep it comming.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you're off to a great start- tying your own flies can be a lot of fun, and the club will really help a lot to get you going--- you'll learn a ton and it's great to have access to an instructor that can talk you through what materials are used for what (and why) little tricks and tips that make it easier, and to have a chance to see and maybe try other folks tools and vises in action.

You'll also get a lot of recommendations for good sources of local materials.

Because patterns and materials will differ a bit depending on what fish you are chasing, the advice you'll get for books, sources of materials, and patterns to start out on might be a little bit different.

For example Charlie Craven's book is an excellent book if you're interested in tying stuff for trout-- but there might be better choices for books if you're chasing other stuff like bass or salt water stuff. There are also a ton of free resources on the web, including great step by steps on Charlie Craven's site http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/flybox/index.cfm if you want to get a sense of the type of info and attention to detail he has in his book.

mark

Last edited by peregrines; 09-07-2009 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Oooops- gave the wrong link to Charlie's site- it is now correct.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:49 PM

Thanks for the link and the advice. I will let you know how the club meeting went.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:39 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtofly View Post
I found out last week that we do have a fly club here. I would have never guessed a fly club in north Texas but we do. I am going to my first meeting tomorrow night.
Yes there sure is. Sounds like you may have already, but be sure to meet Dave Etgen at the Grapevine Bass Pro store. He's a great guy who can give some great advice to get you started tying. I'd suggest you get started with wooly buggers, clousers and sponge spiders. Dave also can tell you about more good spots than I can.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:27 PM

9ason is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtofly View Post
Thanks for the info and the book idea. I will search it and try and get it. I found out last week that we do have a fly club here. I would have never guessed a fly club in north Texas but we do. I am going to my first meeting tomorrow night.
I bought a beginners tying kit at Cabelas yesterday and know that I want to tie my own flies. I am just trying to come up with best places to purchase materials. Thanks again for the help and keep it comming.
Newtofly, are you by chance Charles I met last night at the NTFF meeting.

-Jason
Old 09-09-2009, 05:03 PM

Yes I am. Gald to see you on the forum also.