The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2011, 10:15 AM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold
Default Early Season Emergers and Wets...

Ok, I have a confession to make...I have never tied (and seldom used) emergers or wets during dry fly season, and I have probably suffered because of it. Bought a few at the fly shops recommendation, and I sometimes would clip some hackle off of my dries and not use floatant to get an emerger, sub surface look but that is as far as I have experimented with the emerger/wet fly fishing. I have used generic, attractor wets, but never matched a hatch with wets.

So this year, I am ready to learn about where and when trout feed on wets, and emergers of the species that are hatching. I'm hoping to learn basics on the trout behavior, and then some specifics on patterns to tie for the early season PA bugs. The bugs I'll be fishing:

Early BWO
Blue Quill
Hendrickson
Grannom
Tan or Cream caddis

I am also hitting the Ausable for the Sulpher, so if anyone wants to comment on sulphers I am hoping to tie some of them also.

Also read on another thread that I may be missing out on alot of midge/midge emerger fish early in the year; when and how do fish them? I've seined the waters where I fish and never come up with too many midges.
I'm sure Ill get some top-notch info, any links to tie-alongs, recipes or your own, pics, would be appreciated.

-Jason
Old 03-08-2011, 10:56 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Early Season Emergers and Wets...

Fishing emergers is my favorite and preferred method for dry fly fishing. I usually trail my offering behind something like a Parasol Emerger (the emergers are quite difficult to see in the surface film, so I use the Parasol Emerger as in indicator to give me a reference as to where my emerger offering might be located in the drift) or another buoyant dry fly. My favorite flies I developed most myself in order to match specific hatches in my area. The PMD and sulphers are quite similar, so I'm sure - with some minor adjustment - that they could be almost interchangeable. Here are a couple I like to use from PMD's to BWO's to midges:

Here's a Schollmeyer Parasol Emerger in a midge pattern for my indicator fly:
Click the image to open in full size.

Another Parasol Emerger in a PMD:

And, one more in a midge pattern:

I trail the following flies off of the hook bend of the Parasol Emerger:

KG's Halfback/Foamback Emerger BWO:

KG's Fullback/Foamback Emerger midge:
Recipe:
Hook: DaiRiki 125 sizes 20-22
Thread: Black 70 Ultra
Tail: Amber dubbing tied as shuck
Abdomen: Tying thread
Rib: Chartreuse Uni wire - x/small
Thorax: Black dubbing - picked out
Wingcase: Electronics packing foam

KG's Halfback/Foamback PMD:
Recipe:
Hook: DaiRiki 125 size 16
Thread: 8/0 Cahill Yellow
Tail: Rust dubbing tied in as shuck
Abdomen: Rust goose biot-tied rough
Thorax: PMD Super Fine dubbing
Wingcase: Electronics packing foam
Legs: PMD CDC puff

I had great luck last year on the Big Horn River in Montana by trailing this fly, a Smoke Jumper, behind a Parasol Emerger during a midge and BWO emergence:
Here is a recipe for my modified version of the Smoke Jumper:
Hook: DaiRiki 125 sizes 14-16
Thread: 8/0 Cahill Yellow
Tail: Rust dubbing tied in as shuck
Abdomen: Rust goose biot-tied rough
Thorax: PMD Super Fine
Legs: PMD CDC puff
Wing: Medium to dark dun CDC puff

Here is a video of how to tie the Halfback/Foamback emerger. I have changed a couple of things since filming this video - I no longer rib biots when I use them. I also use CDC puffs for the wing/legs instead of a hen hackle feather as shown in the video.

Just a few options to answer your question. Have fun!

Kelly.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:00 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

Soft hackles. Read all about soft hackles. They are an incredible fly, and you can work them in a myriad of ways to simulate a variety of insect life stages. Syl Nemes books are good, or google around to find what's on the internet. They are incredibly simple and easy to tie, and work like magic. Sulfurs? no problem, there's a soft hackle to match. Just gotta get the right color for the sulfur that lives where you do. Love 'em.
Gary

---------- Post added at 12:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:56 AM ----------

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
Old 03-08-2011, 11:19 AM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Glissmeyer...

I'm not a complete rookie tier, but I think the renzetti might go through the window if I tried to make a parasol emerger...How hard is it to get that thing to stand up straight in the right position? So far I like the patterns that have some colorful/ or bright white antron pulled back over the eye to float with the rest trailing down somewhat vertically in the water. That white shuck is pretty true to the natural isn't it? I've fished with a few of those and in slower, less turbid water I didn't have a problem following them in the drift. I really like to be able to see the flies if possible.

Anyone care to opine on whether or not midges are significant to eastern US fishing? I never hear anything about them until get out west to fish, then I buy what they sell me at the shops...
Old 03-08-2011, 11:35 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausablebrown View Post
Glissmeyer...

I'm not a complete rookie tier, but I think the renzetti might go through the window if I tried to make a parasol emerger...How hard is it to get that thing to stand up straight in the right position? So far I like the patterns that have some colorful/ or bright white antron pulled back over the eye to float with the rest trailing down somewhat vertically in the water. That white shuck is pretty true to the natural isn't it? I've fished with a few of those and in slower, less turbid water I didn't have a problem following them in the drift. I really like to be able to see the flies if possible.

Anyone care to opine on whether or not midges are significant to eastern US fishing? I never hear anything about them until get out west to fish, then I buy what they sell me at the shops...
Unfortunately the antron doesn't float well in the surface, but the foam I use floats like a cork. If you look closely at the fullback midge fly you'll see that it really does mimic a freshly emerged nymph with its wings along its back. The white does seem to be true to the original in many instances, plus, because it's on top, the fish don't notice anyway. Since my eyes aren't what they used to be I have to trail these little buggers behind something big enough for me to track. the Parasol Emerger fits the bill since it has an imitation of a natural insect floating just below the surface film - ofttimes the fish will take the parasol fly.
Now, to answer your question about how to tie the parasol flies, let me take this to the Fly Tying Forum and I will present a step-by-step tutorial for anyone interested.

Thanks,

Kelly.

P.S.: If you can find a copy of the Winter 2011 edition of Flyfishing & Tying Journal, you can read my article on fishing flies behind the Parasol Emerger fly, along with several flies and recipes. The article is titled "Spring Creek Strategies".
Old 03-08-2011, 11:51 AM

Thanks Glissmeyer,
If you'll go through the trouble to post it on here, I'd go through the trouble to try it out...I never did learn to back away from a challenge, why start now...Hope noone is standing outside of my window
Old 03-08-2011, 12:03 PM

Its been posted and ready for your perusal. Have fun with this one, I do.

Look here for the tutorial: Tying Schollmeyer's Parasol Emerger

Kelly.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:29 PM

I will add this....I have often trailed my "dry of the day" with a similar looking nymph, but not an emerger "proper". I have success with that and find that I'm catching fish on the dries and the trailing nymph. I am assuming that the nymphs are being taken because the fish are actually eating emergers, and my nymph offering was close enough. So, is there really that much difference between the nymph and a submerged emerger stage...Just the wing shuck on top of the nymph?
Old 03-08-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausablebrown View Post
I will add this....I have often trailed my "dry of the day" with a similar looking nymph, but not an emerger "proper". I have success with that and find that I'm catching fish on the dries and the trailing nymph. I am assuming that the nymphs are being taken because the fish are actually eating emergers, and my nymph offering was close enough. So, is there really that much difference between the nymph and a submerged emerger stage...Just the wing shuck on top of the nymph?
Probably not a lot of difference, especially since emerging nymphs are close to or in the surface film. The key, in my opinion, is that when a nymph actually emerges they are a bit more helpless and I think the trout key on them more. The trailing shuck of emerging flies seems to be a trigger, also the combination of colors on an emerger with the back half of the fly with the shuck resembling the natural nymph and the front portion of the fly resembling the colors and features of the emerged fly.

Kelly.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:07 PM

So, I gave it a try and the parasol was a success, very easy. Now i'm just not sure what to make of the patterns you shared. The smoke jumper looks alot like a BWO emerger. Do the wings fold forward over the head of an emerger??? And that is not a parasol emerger, but would you tie it just like that if it had a parasol or would the recipe change? I guess I'm not completely understanding what the naturals are doing, and what the Parasol pattern, and the non parasols are mimicking.

And if you have time, the grannom hatch is very heavy on many of the streams I fish. You have a favorite little black caddis emerger pattern?.