The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2011, 03:46 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Just doing some tying;

Hi evryone,

If you have been watching the 'Wet Fly & Streamer Tie Along' thread you will see where this pattern came from. The Partridge & Orange wet fly can easily be turned into many different style of fly. The wet pictured below is using blue eared pheasant for the hackle instead of partridge flank and I added a mallard wing. It is kinda hard to get a bronze mallard wing in the small sizes but this will work.

This is easy to tie and I'm sure it'll catch trout The fly is tied on a Mustad 80050BR in size #8

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Hope you like that one,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-09-2011, 03:47 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just doing some tying;

Ard: Nice looking fly, I'll bet the fish will like that one!

Larry

Old 03-09-2011, 03:51 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Ard, very nice. Keep 'em coming.

Kelly.
Old 03-09-2011, 03:53 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Larry,

Thanks for the Photo Shop work and yeah these look like winners. The best part is they are quick to make. I have 4 in my small fly box now and am going to do some color shifts. I'm thinking claret with a dyed mallard wing for small creeks with clear flows

Thank you Kelly, I will................

Old 03-09-2011, 04:41 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

That a beauty Ard. How did you get the Blue Eared Pheasant shaft to disappear into the floss?
Old 03-09-2011, 04:49 PM
Administrator

Thanks Jimmie,

I got in the habit of wrapping feathers first then covering the quill with either flat or oval tinsel. This hides the quill from your eye and helps to keep it from those little teeth. On the bigger flies I cover the quill with foil tinsels and then counter wrap with fine wire. That way even if a feather gets cut the fly does not come undone.

Old 03-09-2011, 04:54 PM

popperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to popperfly

Ard, Nice!!....can't wait to see the next spin-off fly

Born to Fish...Forced to Work !
Old 03-09-2011, 06:03 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Now that is KILLER!
Old 03-09-2011, 07:14 PM

h dot verseman is on a distinguished road

Nicely tied sir. However, *davy wotton close your ears*, I haven't found wet fly fishing to be all that interesting or productive. I think wet flies look amazing, but I am not really all that familiar with them, their techniques, etc. I'll have to pick up Davy's wet fly ways and maybe turn my thoughts around on the subject
Old 03-09-2011, 07:34 PM
Administrator

Hi There,

You'll have to trust me on this; wet fly fishing is usually the most productive way to catch many species of fish. The only times that I used dry flies over the past many years were those occurrences when there was too much surface activity to ignore. Don't read this wrong, I love dry fly fishing but streamers and wets have been the bedrock for a long time.

Here in Alaska there are not too many opportunities for dry fly fishing so the streamer skills I brought with me have proven to be invaluable for the salmon, char, and trout that I fish for. You may enjoy wet flies, so I would suggest looking into information on their construction and fishing techniques.

Ard