The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2005, 09:59 AM

Bone Daddy will become famous soon enoughBone Daddy will become famous soon enough
Default Saltwater Vice

I'm looking for a good vice for tying saltwater flies - mostly bonefish flies. Can you point me in the right direction? I started tying a few years ago and I'm now ready to upgrade to a high quality vice. Right now, I have an inexpensive Thompson vice. I got it as a gift and it’s the one I learned on. Do I need a true rotary vice? I don't mind spending good money for a quality set up. Can you help?

Bob
Old 02-17-2005, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I've been tying on a dan-vise for about five years now, and still enjoy it. It works perfectly well for anything up to about a 2/0, depending on the thickness of the hook. (by that i mean the REALLY heavy 2/0's might not stay put real well) It works perfectly for my redfish flies, which are the kind of things most people throw at bones.

That being said, if I was buying one today, I would get the Renzetti Cam Traveler. It's all metal, more durable, and i like the bobbin cradle much better. Some might disagree, but i think its design is much more user friendly than that of the Dan-vise's cradle. You'll notice they make a version of the Traveler called the "Saltwater". A better title might be "Offshore" you'll only need to bump up to this one if you expect to regularly tie flies between sizes 2/0 and 8/0.

I find rotary vises to be most useful for saltwater tying. Especially for clousers and decievers, where you're tying bucktail in on different sides of the hook shank. (lefty ties his decievers with three clumps by the way) You'll also find the rotary function helpful with buggers and for some dubbing applications. Here are the opinions of others on rotary vises and their applications: http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/F...ML/004258.html

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-17-2005, 12:43 PM

Gordon Bryson will become famous soon enoughGordon Bryson will become famous soon enough

I also tie with a Dan Vise and find it does everything I need. However, I agree that the Renzetti has lots of good recommendations. I also know some good tyers who have gotten the "copy" model of the Renzetti from Ebay (for $35-40) and have been happy with them. You can also get copies of the Able rotary for about the same, or maybe less. Our local pro tyer uses an Able (original) and ties all kinds and sizes. There is a dealer on eBay and if you're interested I can give you the url (I have it at home). I've never tied anything larger than a #2 hook on my Dan, but it may well handle larger hooks.
Old 02-17-2005, 06:20 PM
Administrator

Fish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Fish Bones
Default Montana Mongoose

Cliff and Gordon have mentioned an excellent vise or two. You may also want to look at the Griffen Montana Mongoose. This is the vise that I use and I really enjoy it. Its a true rotary cam operated vise. It will handle hooks from size 28 to 4/0. This is a great tool at a reasonable price. You can take a look at http://www.thefullcreel.com/files/index.php?id=119

Steve

Old 02-18-2005, 01:07 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

that's the first i've seen of that vise, but it does seem to have all the features i like about the renzetti, with the addition of a carrying case.

Griffin makes great stuff too, i've got three of their saltwater ceramic bobbins and would sooner give up my dan-vise than those. (i use them on everything size 14 or bigger)

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.