The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2009, 12:35 AM

domel has a spectacular aura aboutdomel has a spectacular aura about
Default Vise choice - up to $100

Hello
I want to buy new vise, rather cheaper one. I stop at the moment I got 2 of vises to choose:
1. Danvise
2. GRIFFIN ODYSSEY SPIDER VISE
Or You may suggest any other?
I have got question, for users of these vises, which one should I choose and why?
Help me please.
Bets regards
Tom
Old 10-05-2009, 10:45 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future
Default Re: Vise choice - up to $100

I've got the Dan-Vise. I have tied as small as a #20 hook on it. Probably be able to go a little smaller. The D-V has a very good clamp. It comes with a DVD on how to set all the adjustments. It's very sturdy. It's a rotary (even though I don't use the rotary feature much). It has received very good ratings for vises under $100.
Sorry that I can't compare the two.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:33 PM

Walter1023 is a jewel in the roughWalter1023 is a jewel in the roughWalter1023 is a jewel in the roughWalter1023 is a jewel in the rough

Domel:
I'm glad you posted this because I'm very interested in seeing the responses about the Odysey Spider...I'm looking at buying this one myself. The reviews on Cabelas are pretty solid...and I googled an found a FlyFish Mag review that sounded pretty decent too. Sorry I don't have the answer...but I'm looking to pull the trigger in the next week so I look forward to any other posts.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:40 AM

Thanks for answers, I wait for comparison, at best from users of both vises. I read and haerd a lot of good about Griffin Spider but among my colleagues most of them use Danvise. Really many tiers are glad of buying of Danvise. Now I have occasion to buy at lower price just Danvise and Griffin. I don't know what to do :-)
BR
domel
Old 10-06-2009, 08:17 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

I have a Dan-Vise and I like it....I also have a knock-off vise I bought on E-Bay for $40 bucks; it looks like a Renzetti and works great. I have a couple of other vises also, my favorite is my Regal.

Dan
Old 10-07-2009, 11:16 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Tom,

Here are links to the only two comprehensive reviews of fly tying vises I know of, from Fly Fisherman and Fly Fish Ohio magazines respectively, which cover the $50-100 range (among others):

http://flyfisherman.com/ftb/hwvise/index29.html
http://www.flyfishohio.com/Vise%20Re...es_summary.htm

Both reviews evaluate both the Griffin Odyssey Spider and the Danvise, and as you will see, the Danvise was the clear winner in both evaluations. In fact, the Danvise came out as the top vise in both evaluations among all vises in that price range.

Based upon these reviews and the recommendations of a number of my more-experienced fly tying friends (including my beginning & intermediate fly tying class teachers), I bought the Danvise. It is light (which helps when I take it with me on fly-fishing trips) due to its extensive use of Delrin, although steel is used on those parts - like the jaws - where it wouild make a positive difference. Its true rotary capability with its ball-bearings is very useful to me, as is the excellent clamp which covers a large range and holds really well while being protective of furniture. Since I usually fly-fish tailwaters, I mainly tie sizes #18-26, although I have tied #30 nymphs in it with no problem even though Danvise only represents it holds as small as #28. Its cam-actuated jaws work quite well with such small hooks.

FWIW . . . hope this helps.

Neil
Old 10-08-2009, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2Fish View Post
Tom,

Here are links to the only two comprehensive reviews of fly tying vises I know of, from Fly Fisherman and Fly Fish Ohio magazines respectively, which cover the $50-100 range (among others):

http://flyfisherman.com/ftb/hwvise/index29.html
http://www.flyfishohio.com/Vise%20Re...es_summary.htm

Both reviews evaluate both the Griffin Odyssey Spider and the Danvise, and as you will see, the Danvise was the clear winner in both evaluations. In fact, the Danvise came out as the top vise in both evaluations among all vises in that price range.

Based upon these reviews and the recommendations of a number of my more-experienced fly tying friends (including my beginning & intermediate fly tying class teachers), I bought the Danvise. It is light (which helps when I take it with me on fly-fishing trips) due to its extensive use of Delrin, although steel is used on those parts - like the jaws - where it wouild make a positive difference. Its true rotary capability with its ball-bearings is very useful to me, as is the excellent clamp which covers a large range and holds really well while being protective of furniture. Since I usually fly-fish tailwaters, I mainly tie sizes #18-26, although I have tied #30 nymphs in it with no problem even though Danvise only represents it holds as small as #28. Its cam-actuated jaws work quite well with such small hooks.

FWIW . . . hope this helps.

Neil
Thanks for answer,
I've read all these articles. When I want to buy something I make good investigation of market and all possible options. I like to spend my money in good way :-). At the end I decided to buy Griffin vise. I found that in this range of money both vises are rather on the same level. What forced me to buy Griffin was that I got proposal to buy this vise much cheaper than Danvise. I got vise from second hand but it was not used at all. Here in Poland Danvise vises are 40% cheaper than Griffin, despite price in $ is the same. I do not know why. I will try vise, I hope it will work properly and I will be glad of my choice.
Thanks for all answers.
BR
Tom
Old 10-21-2009, 10:14 PM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to flyfisher117

umm i just went through this problem my self this summer...my choices were the dan vise, spider, and i was thinking about another forgot which...well long story short i got a griffin blackfoot mongoose for $150

Dan Vise
Pros- cheap,holds hooks nice, stylish
Cons- plastic,jaws wear out very fast, and more plastic

Spider
i didnt get it just after going to a store and looking at it, it looks good but in my opinion its far from it i just didnt like it and how flimsy it felt for being made out of metal

so as an unemployed 16 year old i wanted cheap,and something that will last me neither of these felt like they would so i bucked up saved up a few more dollars and bought griffins blackfoot mongoose and i love it dont feel flimsy and really has held up..even with a little brother getting into it
Old 10-22-2009, 09:33 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

check out Anvil vices, great buys for the money..
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..