The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2007, 03:02 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: i would like to get started in fly tying

I agree with Frank. Get a good fly Tying starter kit. One with Hoppers, Haresear, Prince, Adams, etc. The basics. Tools can be costy so a kit is a good place to start. Bobbers, ones with the ceramic inners are going to break less thread and are a bonus from the word get go. Scissors, small point is good, never cut wire with the tip. If you need to cut wire, use the inside (open scissors all the way) saving the tip or the point for more delicate. Also a good idea to have separate pair for hair (hair can be hard on scissors). Double sided razor blades are good for hair also cause you can bend them. (I break the blades in half so I don't cut myself).
I agree that the vise is a big part of beginning. I love my Renzetti , but I started with a $29. vise, that I still have and use it to dry flies. On a vise, get a good one with small point. You will upgrade if you get into it no matter what LOL Even with my Renzetti I am always looking at others.
Giffith has some great vises at good prices.
Hey, will will be happy to help you if you have a question on any fly. We could talk you through it.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:48 PM

dcslick is on a distinguished road

One of the best vices for the money is the DanVise. It can be found for under $80 at places such as ebay. Probably the only vice you will ever need unless you go into commercial tying. Good luck!
Old 02-06-2007, 03:51 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcslick View Post
One of the best vices for the money is the DanVise. It can be found for under $80 at places such as ebay. Probably the only vice you will ever need unless you go into commercial tying. Good luck!

I was going to mention the Danvise, but there is a couple of things to be aware of. They are a little bulky, but easy to deal with, and they only come with the clamp, which is not a big deal either.
My Brother in-law has one and for under $80. you get a true rotary. Very Nice!
Old 02-06-2007, 08:10 PM

Gordon Bryson will become famous soon enoughGordon Bryson will become famous soon enough

I've tied with the Dan Vise for some time and found it very satisfactory. I did have a problem with the jaws in that I had them adjusted too tight on a larger hook and when I locked the cam I chipped away a little of the jaw tip. Bought a new set for $20, cleaned the old one up, now I have two sets. About the smallest flies I tie are #20, so I can't comment on anything much smaller than that. For the most part, I'm tying warm water and salt water flies and the rotary feature has come in quite handy and the vise handles the larger hooks very well. Check out some of the vises that Full Creel stocks, you can't go wrong.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:13 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Brandon, where are you located? In some areas the major fly shops offer free fly tying lessons. Feather Craft is one that comes to mind. Check to see if there are Trout Unlimited clubs in your area. Check with your parks and recreation department. If you are in the right area, they will have classes. If you want to start really cheap then get a Thompson "A" press. More people have learned on this press than any that I know about. I bought one in 1974 and still use it for saltwater flies. If all else fails get a vise grip and clamp it into a vise. This will work fine if you tie fairly large flies like streamers. If your are going to learn on your own, get Poul Jorgensen's book: "Dressing Flies for Fresh and Salt Water". This book is probably out of print but it is great for beginners with excellent photos. -----Frank
Old 02-07-2007, 10:51 AM

Along with the book Frank mentioned I will add, "The Fly Tier Benchside Reference". Great book no mater how experienced you are. I have been tying for years and still come accross a fly that I will say, "How do you do that?" and there it is in this book.
It also comes in a CD or free with some magazine subscription.
A MUST HAVE BOOK! With it, all you need is recipe books like "Fly Patterns of Umpqua Feather Merchants" and you can tie any of them.
Old 02-07-2007, 03:13 PM

Gordon Bryson will become famous soon enoughGordon Bryson will become famous soon enough

Here's a site for some really well done videos on fly tying. They're very professionally done, and cover several patterns. Try it out, I think you'll find it very informative:http://www.buckeyeflyfishers.com/fly...M%20frame.htmI don't think the link is working, you might just have to copy and paste the url.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:43 PM

dcslick is on a distinguished road

Trout flies is a great site for beginning tying. They have frame by frame on the more popular trout flies. Take a look

http://troutflies.com/tutorials/
Old 02-08-2007, 04:48 PM

Cowboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Some people will object, but Orvis has a good beginners kits for $98. Has the basics. Do not invest in a high end vise until you find out if you really want to tie flys. I have sausage fingers and the fine work is a little difficult for me. Takes me about twice a long to tie a small (14-20) fly.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
Some people will object, but Orvis has a good beginners kits for $98. Has the basics. Do not invest in a high end vise until you find out if you really want to tie flys. I have sausage fingers and the fine work is a little difficult for me. Takes me about twice a long to tie a small (14-20) fly.

Orvis kit is great, infact for $15. more we could up grade the vise at our store, I don't know if all the stores do that.
I just wasn't going to say it cause I am Orvis this, Orvis that, but as long as someone else brought it up....YEAH BABY!