The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2006, 09:20 PM

brandon78 is on a distinguished road
Default i would like to get started in fly tying

i would like to get started in fly tying, but need all the materials, how much would it cost me to get a decent set up and what all am i gonna need. also is it hard to learn?

and i found this, is it any good? http://store.beekflies.com/prflytykit.html
id mainly be tying trout flys and some terrestrials
Old 05-22-2006, 09:21 AM
Prospecting for Trout

Piscator will become famous soon enoughPiscator will become famous soon enough
Default Re: i would like to get started in fly tying

I'm new to fly tying as well. If you ever start it you will be addicted to fly tying as much as fly fishing. I to looked at these types of package deals that contained fly tying materials as well as fly tying vise and tools. Although, you may save some money in the short term, I believe that you will quickly find that you will be disappointed in the lower end vise that are offered in these types of packages.

It is my opinion that you should invest in a quality vise price range $125-200 to get the full potention out of your fly tying experience. Speaking from experience, I started out with a low end vise and quickly became frustrated by the way the vise worked and failed to hold the hook properly. Fortunately, I attended my local fly fishing club fly tying table held monthly where I had a great deal of knowledge given to a newbie like myself. This gave me access to different types of high quality vises. Plus, someone in the group has loaned me a spare one of theirs until I can afford a new one.

Trust me spend the money now, otherwise, you will most likely find that you will spend it later.

You can quickly find that you can find a lot of the tying materials at your local craft store to save money there. I'm looking at the following two vises:
Peak Vise, and the Renzetti Traveler.

To read some reviews over various other brand visit the following link:

http://flyfisherman.com/ftb/hwvise/

I hope this helps.
Thanks,
Terry
Old 05-22-2006, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

DarkKnight is right about cheap vises becomeing frustrating after a while, but you can find one that will work for a while for under $30 if you know what you are after. I learned how to tie by using the flytying section of www.flyanglersonline.com and you will be able to learn a ton by using that as well.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:14 AM

freeze69 will become famous soon enoughfreeze69 will become famous soon enough

I to will have to agree with darknight on this. I bought one of those kits and quickly got to dislike the vise. I ended up buying the Renzetti Traveler Cam on the pedestal. Paid about $220 after adding some other top end tools but it works like a charm.

For materials though there are ways to skimp here on the price. I buy stuff at Hobby Lobby, Walmart, and other hobby and craft stores. Watch your fly shop too never know when some vender is running a special buy one neck or cape get one free.(usually not the best quality but it does work)

As far as learning goes: If you can attend classes great do so. If you can't attend classes like myself(work hours) get videos or tie with a friend. There's tons of patterns online to print out that go step by step. Print them out all the time. Also check out some magazines they to have nice patterns or pictures. As one gentleman told me yesterday on the stream the thing he loves about tying is you can use your imagination. It's your fly tye it the way you want it to look.

Good luck and injo.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:16 PM

brandon78 is on a distinguished road

i would like to try and spend under 100$, but i dont know if im gonna seriously get into it, i just want to try it out and see what its like...i'll more then likely end up sticking with it, im just kinda low on money.. also are there any other suggestions one what kit to get?
Old 05-22-2006, 09:52 PM

Gordon Bryson will become famous soon enoughGordon Bryson will become famous soon enough

Brandon, you've been given some very good advice. Additionally, the Full Creel that sponsors this forum has some excellent quality vises and other tools. However, if you're not sure whether you'll like it or not, and you've decided not to spend a lot for a vise,you might try this url on eBay. This dealer carries some of the import copies of the higher priced vises. I personally haven't seen any of them, but for 20-30 bucks you can probably pick one of them up.

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQ...wordQ5ffishQ2a

I would still advise you not to purchase a fly tying kit unless you know it contains the items to tie the type flies you want to use.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:45 PM

freeze69 will become famous soon enoughfreeze69 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Bryson
Brandon, you've been given some very good advice. Additionally, the Full Creel that sponsors this forum has some excellent quality vises and other tools. However, if you're not sure whether you'll like it or not, and you've decided not to spend a lot for a vise,you might try this url on eBay. This dealer carries some of the import copies of the higher priced vises. I personally haven't seen any of them, but for 20-30 bucks you can probably pick one of them up.http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQ...wordQ5ffishQ2aI would still advise you not to purchase a fly tying kit unless you know it contains the items to tie the type flies you want to use.
more good advice. as to the vises on ebay. i've seen a couple of them and they're nice. quality and materials may not be as good as a renzetti, griffin, dyna-king, etc. if you check out ebay you can find many a good buys on there. like i said earlier buy material at other places than fly shops. one thing to check into is what darkknight hit on and that's classes. if nothing else see if you can attend one and see if they'll let you tie a fly or two to see if it's something you'll enjoy. if i can learn i know that you can it's not as hard as you'd think. and remember it's one thing to catch a fish on a store bought fly it's another to catch a fish on one that you've tied.
Old 02-04-2007, 02:12 PM

aroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura about

Hey dude..... click on my "Blog link" and go to "expert village".... links there for beginner fly tying classes.

"As The deer Thirts For Water, I thirst for you Oh Lord"

North Woods Wanderings
Adventure into the North Woods.......

"Aroostook Flyers and Tyers"
Old 02-05-2007, 10:35 AM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough

You have been some excellent advise about fly tying.You may also want to investigate with a local fly shopin your area about a tying class. It might be a worthwhileidea to spend a little $$ to learn whether or not you will enjoytying your own flies before spending $$$ on a vise & all thatgoes with one. Just a thought,Tie one on
Old 02-05-2007, 10:56 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon78 View Post
i would like to get started in fly tying, but need all the materials, how much would it cost me to get a decent set up and what all am i gonna need. also is it hard to learn?

and i found this, is it any good? http://store.beekflies.com/prflytykit.html
id mainly be tying trout flys and some terrestrials
Hi Brandon, I suggest you go to The Fly Shop and look at their fly tying stuff. This site has very good pictures of the items. This kit may be a good choice. The tool won't be great but you can up grade if you are interested. If you want to get real serious, then Kaufman's has some great kits but are spendy. --------Frank--------- Umpqua Deluxe Fly Tying KitThe Fly Shop staff recommends this kit highly for beginning fly tiers.• Well thought out materials for most flies that you'll need to begin tying.• A fine beginners vise with good jaws.• Highest quality Tiemco, Edgin tools included• A practical, useful selection of hooks from Tiemco• Quality materials to get you started.• A useful fly tying manual• Sample flies are included! #1967