The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2009, 09:38 AM

Troutseeker is on a distinguished road
Default Fly tying materials

Hello all,

Just thought I would bring this up. Where does everyone get their fly tying materials. I myself have ordered from flyshack as well as thornesmanufacturing.com. Where I am there is not a lot of choice in fly tying material selection so online is best for me. Flyshack is a good place to shop but Thornes has a better selection, in my opinion, at good prices. Flyshack has a great deal that if you spend over $35 dollars, easy for me most times, and shipping is free. Thornes is over $50 and shipping is free, however other then that it is only $4.99 if you do not spend $50.

Ok so here is the thing both in my opinion could use a better thread selection, didn't like the thread I got from Flyshack. I have been a UNI guy and neither carry it. Local store carries some selection but they have been lacking lately, when a store is out of 6/0 black thread that is not good but then again they are not exclusively a fly tying store (just a small selection in the outdoor section). So I thought we could share the websites in which we buy materials from to see if we could help each other find the things we are looking for.

Jeff
Old 10-09-2009, 11:00 AM

flytyer56 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fly tying materials

I order most of my stuff online from JStockard. http://www.jsflyfishing.com/
They usually have everything I need or want, and if the order is placed in the morning it ships out the same day.
Then You're The One!!!!!
Old 10-09-2009, 01:57 PM

Thanks flytyer I will have to check it out.
Old 10-09-2009, 02:54 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Trout,

What type of flies do you tie? I have quite a bit of inventory but still have to search out some speciality items now and then. Yesterday I placed an online order with 'Off The Hook Fly Shop' mostly silks and tinsels, and a few salmon & spey hooks. I also went to my local shop and purchased some tinsel, silk, and Antron yarn. I find hard to get items on line and garden variety at my local shop. While there I placed a pair of Simms G3 waders on lay away also.

The on line stores have all the cool stuff for tying salmon flies that local shops do not stock due to the slow turn over in sales. The spools of material I bought yesterday had dust on them and the rubber bands that were on them had dry rotted. I guess not many people in Wasilla tie classic style flies so the stuff just sits.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-09-2009, 03:17 PM

Hello Ard,

I mostly tie trout flies. I am good for hooks, thornes has a wide variety of tiemco and daiichi(no idea if that is anywhere close for spelling). I was looking for zlon mostly. The site flytyer pointed me towards had a few varieties. Mostly I like to try a variety of materials and see how they work. Just trying to get a few sites to access a variety of stuff. With thornes, flyshack, and jsflyfishing I am getting a really wide variety. Plus I thought it might help those looking for tying material sites.

I suppose I do tie some salmon flies for Atlantic Salmon. I don't fish them too often but when I do I never catch a thing..... my friend seems to catch everything I fish over.. I have no luck when it comes to salmon. I am hoping to break that next year though.

Jeff
Old 10-09-2009, 07:04 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I make a running list of things that I want or I'm short on, and buy them a one of the winter shows.... usually at a deep discount
Old 10-09-2009, 08:26 PM

Good idea riptide. There is a yearly fly fishing show a couple hours away from where I live. Never heard about it till this year. Have to find out about it before the next one.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:22 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
I make a running list of things that I want or I'm short on, and buy them a one of the winter shows.... usually at a deep discount
Rip Ride: Excellent idea of keeping a list especially this time of year, I think the Denver shows are in Jan so I will start making a list!

Larry
Old 10-10-2009, 03:09 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

So how is the fishing there in Wasilla? I have never been to Alaska, but would like to one of these days before I get too old to go. Your fly shop does sound like it isn't moving much material, that is sad. I buy most of my stuff online anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Trout,

What type of flies do you tie? I have quite a bit of inventory but still have to search out some speciality items now and then. Yesterday I placed an online order with 'Off The Hook Fly Shop' mostly silks and tinsels, and a few salmon & spey hooks. I also went to my local shop and purchased some tinsel, silk, and Antron yarn. I find hard to get items on line and garden variety at my local shop. While there I placed a pair of Simms G3 waders on lay away also.

The on line stores have all the cool stuff for tying salmon flies that local shops do not stock due to the slow turn over in sales. The spools of material I bought yesterday had dust on them and the rubber bands that were on them had dry rotted. I guess not many people in Wasilla tie classic style flies so the stuff just sits.

Ard
Old 10-12-2009, 02:56 PM

kyflytyer will become famous soon enough

I buy all of my tying supplies online or mail order. There are a lot of suppliers out there, some good and some bad. Below are 4 links to ones that, in my opinion, offer excellent service and a good variety of materials. All 4 of them publish a catalog, which I suggest you get to keep near your tying bench.

J. Stockard Fly Fishing tops my list. I deal with them a lot and James carries one of the best selections of tying materials in the world and his service is second to none. http://www.JSFlyFishing.com

Feather-Craft Fly Fishing publishes an excellent catalog and has a huge selection of tying materials, many of them hard to find. http://www.feather-craft.com

Angler's Workshop has a good catalog and a good selection of materials, especially materials for fully dressed salmon flies. http://www.anglersworkshop.com

Stone River Outfitters is also strong on fully dressed salmon fly materials and high end tools. http://www.StoneRiverOutfitters.com