The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2011, 02:37 AM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold
Default *DOUBLE* Articulated Streamer

I've heard that the reason for tying articulated streamers was twofold; both to prevent short strikes, and to give the fly some swagger in the water. I just found this youtube video of the DOUBLE ARTICULATED STREAMER. Check it out and see what you think of it. It looks like a winner and I've got one on the vise right now halfway done. It is a very long video, but you can skip to part three and get a good view of the entire process and the finished product; all three pieces are tied the same and he finishes it off with an estaz collar...never seen that before. I think I will palmer a mallard flank around instead.

Any night-fishing experts want to weigh in on if this is just superflous? A guide on the Ausable said that there are alot of wild and short strikes during night time fishing, and that hooking up with with far less than 50% of your strikes is normal. I'm hoping this third hook will push that percentage up a bit. Also, the self proclaimed "world's preeminent expert on Ausable night fishing" (and he has the trophy board to back up his claim) told me this once also. He is my high school BIO teacher (long since retired) and he has spent a quarter of his life standing in the "Holy Waters". Unfortunately I have not had the privelage of speaking with him for some time or I would get his opinion as well.

Enjoy the tie-along video and comment if you wish.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:54 AM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: *DOUBLE* Articulated Streamer

I got it finished this morning...Let me know if you have any thoughts. I only found reference to three piece flies on a couple of forums and that youtube video. It could be the next BIG thing! This pattern uses a TON of maribou...

If it doesn't have a name, I call it "Triple Dragon"

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:09 AM

tyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to all

Pretty sweet lookin'. Im just starting to get into 'single' articulated patterns haha
Old 03-15-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler185 View Post
Pretty sweet lookin'. Im just starting to get into 'single' articulated patterns haha
There is a current thread about articulated streamers, it has a helpful video on it.

We'll see how sweet it looks in the water; that's what really matters. There has to be a reason that these aren't popular yet...but then again, why weren't single artuclated streamers popular 20 years before they were? It has to start somewhere...
Old 03-15-2011, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Good looking streamer. What's the overall length?

Brings to mind some issues I had last year fishing articulated streamers, I'll make a thread about that rather than jack your thread.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 03-15-2011, 11:41 AM

allbassfearme is on a distinguished road

What un-Godly act did you subject that squirrel to?! I would express concern about the third level fouling the rig but I've seen your technique of straightening out your flies on tree branches during your back casts! If it doesn't fool them into biting you probably will scare them out of the hole your fishing. Just don't leave your flies in the trees behind you during mating season. PETA would send naked people in front of your work for hurting those poor squirrels that attack your fly thinking its a girl squirrel. That's another good name for your fly...Girl-squirrel!!!
Old 03-16-2011, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allbassfearme View Post
What un-Godly act did you subject that squirrel to?! I would express concern about the third level fouling the rig but I've seen your technique of straightening out your flies on tree branches during your back casts! If it doesn't fool them into biting you probably will scare them out of the hole your fishing. Just don't leave your flies in the trees behind you during mating season.
LOL, that's pretty clever for a bass-fisherman. And may I add that 8 wt's are no good for fishing the ISO hatch in brook trout water The rest of you had to be there...

I tried it out in the pond (really big flood puddle that has been in my front yard for a month now). It looks really cool under water and definitely has a good action to it. I cast it at least 50 times and didn't have any fouling up of the rig. I'm not sure if it has any movement advantage over a single articulated rig with a really extended back segment. Maybe it has a little more body further back on the fly than could be achieved with a two hook pattern.

---------- Post added at 06:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:15 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
Good looking streamer. What's the overall length?

Brings to mind some issues I had last year fishing articulated streamers, I'll make a thread about that rather than jack your thread.
Overall length is almost 7". I probably should have added at least another half to 3/4 of an inch of bunny to the back end to make it taper out a little better, and I'd probably prefer some deer hair on the head. It kind of looked like a headless snake in the water.