The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2011, 07:11 AM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold
Default Sometimes fits of rage are the mother of invention!!!

So, the saying goes "Necessity is the mother of invention". Well, this morning frustration was the mother of invention at my house. Check out what I made AND organized in just 30 minutes.

I turned this:

Click the image to open in full size.

Into this:

Of course, it's not a completely original idea; dubbing is done this way all the time. I got sick of having all those cardboard cards of chenille cluttering everything up. Drilled some holes in the bottom of that box and unwound all of my chenille, estaz, and braid into the compartments.

Show me your ideas if you have something clever, or not even that clever because it still might help me out. My bench has become a disaster since I really started tying stuff up in the last month or so.

Last edited by ausablebrown; 03-16-2011 at 08:23 AM.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:31 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Sometimes fits of rage are the mother of invention!!!

Nice job! I have tried to organize for.........well for a long time. The best I did was to separate things into different bins and big zip loc bags. When I first started this I could keep things pretty neat but as the years rolled on there became too much and too many things for neat. Sometimes it takes a little while to find something if I haven't used it for a few years

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-16-2011, 09:44 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

I, er, may not be qualified to give advice on, um, tidiness shortcuts..
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
Old 03-16-2011, 10:57 AM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt05254 View Post
I, er, may not be qualified to give advice on, um, tidiness shortcuts..
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
Is that your tying station or the Gudebrod warehouse?!!! I'd take all comers on bets of any odds that you don't get that used up before you "sail downriver". Might be enough thread there to clothe a small army.

Is that what I have to look forward too? Ugh...and to think 25 cards of chenille and 10 colors of estaz almost sent me over the edge this morning.

That's ok Gary, we all have our strengths and weaknesses. If I ever need advice on hoarding techniques, I'll give you a buzz.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:02 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

LOL, trust me, I've got hoarding down to a science! Much of what you see is Gordon Griffiths floss which is all I use on salmon flies, and they don't make it anymore, so I, uh, stocked up. Until a couple stashes showed up in England, I had the world market cornered!
Basking in floss,
Gary
Old 03-16-2011, 11:02 AM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

Son, you need help.

Yat's Blog: http://pleinaircolorado.blogspot.com/
Old 03-16-2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt05254 View Post
LOL, trust me, I've got hoarding down to a science! Much of what you see is Gordon Griffiths floss which is all I use on salmon flies, and they don't make it anymore, so I, uh, stocked up. Until a couple stashes showed up in England, I had the world market cornered!
Basking in floss,
Gary
Now I know why you take 245 glitter bears out on the river with you...Your'e hoping to drop a box or two over the falls, so you can tie 245 more and put 3 more spools floss to use.

Just with what is shown in the picture, I roughly counted 185 spools in there Gary...and I'd bet you got that many more hidden way under the floorboards!
Old 03-16-2011, 12:04 PM

LOL, well, in a word, yes. And (shoulders shrugging) another 12 spools are on their way from England as we type.

And did you know there may be a shortage of silver pheasant skins sometime? Best stock up now!

Yours for a material-rich future,
Gary
Old 03-16-2011, 03:26 PM

carman9941 is on a distinguished road

I Love It!!!!

2 thumbs up for you my brother
Old 03-16-2011, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carman9941 View Post
I Love It!!!!

2 thumbs up for you my brother
Thanks, now one more box like that and Ill have all of my stringy stuff in pretty handy dispensers...It beats the heck outa unwinding from those cards and pulling all of the estaz out of the bag and then putting whats left back in. Takes about thirty or so loose items out of my giant tote of unmanageable miscelaneous tying junk.