The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2011, 11:45 AM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice
Default Choosing A Hun Skin

When choosing a Hun Skin is it important weather it is a Male or Female. I'm getting ready to tie up some flies that call for it and since its widely used in fly tying I figure I'll buy one rather than make substitute something else.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:21 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Choosing A Hun Skin

Hungarian partridge (Perdix perdix) males and females are very similar in size, color and feathering. I truly doubt it makes a difference which sex you tie with...just like ruffed grouse. In my experience, most people can't tell the difference in that species, either. Especially when handling just the skin.
Gary the wildlife biologist.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:05 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Tom,

What Gary said and............If you are buying from a shop sort through them and take the one where the flank and rump feathers are nice and full. Depending on what you are tying size matters Fullness of herls will be a matter of age of the bird and when last moult occurred.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-16-2011, 02:12 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

Also - there are several methods I've seen enabling you to use "too long" feathers on smaller soft hackles. I can't find where I've stashed the articles (if you saw my tying bench in another thread currently running you'd understand that); probably if you google around, or even search this forum, you'll find them. These methods are alternatives to the standard "tie in by the tip and wrap".
Gary