The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2011, 11:21 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice
Default Epoxy Application!

I'm planning to tie up some Copper Johns. I asked a friend of mine who is a very good tyer which epoxy I should buy and he told me Devcon. He then explained that he was taught by a famous tyer whose name I've gone blank on to apply epoxy with a small dot then a second small dot on top of it. What led to this apparently was he saw flies that this friend of mine saw flies the man had tied and that his epoxy finishes looked so much better then any he'd seen so he asked how he did it. He said in his experience Devcon is the only epoxy that does not yellow.

However, after reading about the difficulties several people the forum have had with applying epoxy I'm a little hesitant about spending $13 on Devcon to only discover its a royal PITA.

Is there anything that would provide the same level of excellent flash which is supossedly made possible by applying epoxy in this manner.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:05 AM

h dot verseman is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Epoxy Application!

I dont think it is that difficult, and I just started doing epoxy work on my flies.

I also use devcon, it dries crystal clear and you have a good 5 minutes to work with it.

i use craft sticks *not popsicle sticks, they are too large*, and basically look like match stick french fries. they come like 500 to a bag for just about $3 bux.

i always work up more than I will need, as I have found it is much easier adding too much, then adding too little. I do 1 good smear of it, cover the windcase down to the wire, and i'm done with it. if i add too much, I use a bodkin and just take some off.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:21 AM

wovenstonefly has a spectacular aura aboutwovenstonefly has a spectacular aura about

I have been using the clear cure goo instead of epoxy for about a year now and like it a lot. It dries clear and is easy to use, It is kind of pricey though. The UV light is handy but it also cures in a couple seconds if you stick it in the sun.

as far as I know you can only buy it on line. Just google the name if interested.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:23 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

When I first started playing with epoxy I bought some 1 minute stuff and found that by the time I got it mixed it left very little time to apply to the flies. Prior to that I had been experimenting with SHAN's but found that if you applied it too thick it would crinkle up so I switched to the 5 minute epoxy and found that it works much nicer, with great results. After mixing I have been using a toothpick to apply to the flies. I like wovenstonefly's idea of using the clear goo as you could control the curing much better, thanks for the tip, I will have to give that a try.

Larry

Old 03-17-2011, 08:31 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

You could use Loon Knot Sense also...

Dan
Old 03-17-2011, 08:38 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Dan: Good point, I've also used the UV KnoT Sense and it also works great, I forgot about that one!

Larry

Old 03-17-2011, 10:05 AM

piscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura about

I use epoxy, mostly for poppers, though. I prefer the 30 min. slow cure epoxy that model airplane builders use. I put coated flies and poppers on my 4 rpm epoxy turner/drier for about an hour. It seems slow, but I can usually coat around 30 flies at a time, before it gets too hard to work with. Locally, the stuff is $7 for two 4 oz. bottles. I have some poppers that are 2-3 years old that haven't yellowed. Hope this helps.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:15 PM

wovenstonefly has a spectacular aura aboutwovenstonefly has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuronRiverDan View Post
You could use Loon Knot Sense also...

Dan
I have used it a time or two but it doesn't seem to bond as well to the fly. It has a tendency to crack and peel off. I have never had that problem with the CCG. But Maybe it's the size of the stuff I'm using it for.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:10 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Everyone thank you for the replies and suggestions. I believe I will end up going with the CCG as I will have more confidences in something that dries in a way that I have some control over.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:32 PM

Just a heads up I forgot to mention. like all the UV stuff the CCG can be slightly tacky when hardened but if you put a coat of hard as nails nail polish or brush able head cement over the CCG it solves that problem.