The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2009, 12:45 PM

deon is on a distinguished road
Default getting started

hello,

im new to this forum and fly fishing and since i m new to all of it i figured i mine as well start fly tying. whats a good starter kit or tools that i should get to start fly tying.

thanks
deon
Old 10-26-2009, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: getting started

Welcome to the forum Oh DeonI think this question has already been replied,sure some moderators will give you some links about it.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:14 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Deon,

Welcome to the forum. I am glad you decided to join in and enjoy the company.

Being new to both fly fishing and wanting to get into fly tying can cost you a little bit of money. So to get started do you have your rod reel and fly line? These are you first big purchases. Can you tell us what gear you have and how much you have fly fished. If you are really ready to jump into fly tying, how much is your budget.

I don't usually suggest a brand new fly fisher jump right into fly tying. Your first big goals are to learn how to cast, tie knots, learn leaders and flies. Somewhere along the way you have to learn mending and presentation. If you find you don't like fly fishing then you don't want to buy a bunch of fly tying equipment you will never use.

Just a thought, so just tell us a little about your self and your experience. I will get right back to you about some fly tying gear if you are at that junction of fly fishing.

Frank
Old 10-26-2009, 03:27 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Welcome to the Forum...You got some great advice from Frank...

Dan