The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2009, 03:47 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Fly Evolution

Have you ever noticed that when you have a little extra time on your hands and you have a bunch of materials spread out on your tying table, the fly that you happen to be tying tends to "evolve" as you tie it?

Sometimes it's just a nuance change, the size of the hackle, the thinness or thickness of the dubbing, etc. But, sometimes its more fundamental and you end up with something that's only related to the fly that you wanted to tie when you first sat down. Case in point.

I convinced myself that I "needed" some olive scud-like nymphs to fish a section of the Tobyhanna Creek that runs through a meadow. The weeds march right down into the water in this section and I've seen what I think are trout nosing out scuds from the weeds by bulling their way along the creek bank. So, if the fish are rutting out scuds, then why not be a nice guy and accommodate them, save them some energy and at the same time, perhaps, get one or two to my landing net.

I warn you, these are not pretty ties, but sometimes evolution isn't pretty; it's the idea that's moving. From my standpoint, there's plenty of time to polish things off if something good comes out of what's evolving.

So, here's the fly that I needed. A #16 scud hook weighted with 7 turns of .010 lead wire, caddis green superfine dubbing and a small copper rib. Nothing special, but just what I needed:

Click the image to open in full size.

But, what about a bead? Most fly fishermen that I know would take a beadhead anything over the same pattern without a bead. So, add one 2mm copper bead; works with the ribbing, too:

That works. I'd probably take the beadhead version myself. I guess I needed that add.

Now, I fish mostly in the Poconos, which are the same mountains as the Catskills; just in PA instead of NY. Not surprisingly, there's a lot of Catskill tying influence around here and one of those influences is hackling. Most of the flies that you'll see here in the Spring are going to have some form of collar hackle on them. So, since there's a natural brown hen hackle sitting just to my right; time for a collar hackle on this pattern:

And, if a collar hackle would work, then why not have a look at the fly fully hackled with a palmered brown feather? Why not? OK, here it is:

So, 4 evolution steps from a ribbed scud to a pseudo-woolly worm on a scud hook.

I never did get fishing today; that will have to wait until next weekend when I test this evolution on that piece of water.

Anyone else ever had a similar experience?
Old 11-01-2009, 04:16 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Fly Evolution

All the time Allen, tying is as exciting as fishing for me.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-01-2009, 04:19 PM

tob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to behold

Nice evolution Pocono.
Next step 5 is to take the scissor on the Evolution 4 and you have a cased caddis

Trygve
Old 11-01-2009, 04:32 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

If I couldn't make minor changes to the flies I tye I think I would quit tying. My flies are always evolving...

Dan
Old 11-01-2009, 04:49 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Allan: I think that happens to me all the time. I tie up a few flies of a specific pattern and then get a little bored and try to experiment to see what I can come up with. Nice looking flies by the way!

Larry
Old 11-01-2009, 11:22 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I mess around with materials like you. It's interesting to see what evolves.

Take fly number 2 and change the color to caddis green (almost chartreuse). Tie on a peacock herl collar. Substitute the copper bead with a black bead. Boom-bada-bing! You have a rockworm caddis!

MP
Old 11-02-2009, 07:06 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Pocono, you mentioned you were going up to fish the Salmon River in NY, take along some of the #2 version of your fly...

Dan
Old 11-02-2009, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Nice evolution Allan...I often do like you...or mix some of my patterns.Last week I mixed two you know:a black chub special and an ugly green...the result is quite interesting and I'm testing it but the problem is I don't know to name it
quote:sometimes evolution isn't pretty...sure look what we're doing with our planet