The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2011, 07:32 PM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Walleye Flies

In the coming weekend me and a buddy are going to hunting for some walleyes and seeing as I need to make a trip to bass pro anyway I figured I'd pick up a few things to tie some walleye flies. I know black and purple get used alot, anything to contradict that? Also, Black bunny strips. Anything else to look into?

Thanks.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:10 PM

twfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Walleye Flies

I fished a bunch for walleye last summer, and I had good success with minnow imitations... I caught a bunch on clousers and modified bunny leeches in white tail, white chenille of your choice, red chenille for gills with a mottled turkey quill wing/fin and a marabou collar with dumbbell eyes...

Also leech imitations and the like... sorry I don't have pics for you, haven't tied any wally flies yet, that is still to come... hope this helps...

But here's one I got on that pattern...

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:44 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I fish forthem a lot. I mostly use clousers. Blue and white is the color I use most. I also tie a leech pattern with black marabou I loop dub on stemless with pettijean (sp?) clips. They have hourglass eyes like clousers.
I'm march in the Fishing Hall of Fame calendar this year with one I caught on a blue/white clouser.
My next goal is centerfold in Field and Stream
Old 03-27-2011, 09:30 PM

MrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the rough

Leach pattern, Clouser Minnow, and another one that I do but dont remember the name for are the patterns I use. Only thing is, make sure you can get the fly down to the lvl that the fish can see well enough to hit. If your in 5ft of water make sure it is getting down to about a foot off the bottom and you should have no troubles with it at all.

---------- Post added at 09:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 PM ----------

And Hey DAN...you keep this up and you may have a visitor at your place all summer long...
Old 03-27-2011, 09:57 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEsox View Post
[And Hey DAN...you keep this up and you may have a visitor at your place all summer long...
I'm pretty easy to talk into fishing. Come on up.