The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2009, 07:47 PM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to flyfisher117
Default Hackle help?

sorry if this is asked a lot but im hopefully going to cabelas tomorow and am hoping to get a few materials.

i dont get hackles and all the fancy terms for it.

so what is neck hackles? and what is saddle hackles? and then grades i see theres grade 1 and 2..im guessing the grade 1 is just nicer and has a higer price tag where as the grade 2 is lower quailty and has a smaller price tag for people like me?

so if anyone can share some info about hackles it would help
Old 11-13-2009, 08:15 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Hackle help?

Hi,

If you are just starting to tie flies hopefully the person working in the materials department will be knowledgeable enough to help you set up without breaking the bank. It is very hard to try to explain hackle through a short message in text. Unless you live 100 miles from the shop I would just get some lower grade materials to practice with and when I felt ready to do some good finish work I would upgrade my quality of materials to match my tying skills.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-13-2009, 08:40 PM

kyflytyer will become famous soon enough

In a nut shell, rooster necks and saddles are most commonly used for dry fly hackle. The necks can also be used for dry fly tails. The big difference between necks and saddles is the size of flies they tie. Necks have the biggest assortment of sizes, ususally tying down to 28-30. Saddles are usually sized 10-16 (this is a generalization, each saddle is different). If you only tie dries in the 10-16 range, a saddle is all you need. If you tie smaller flies, a neck would be the way to go. Grade 2 would be my suggestion for someone starting out, especially if they are on a budget. This is a VERY basic overview of hackle. Do a search for hackle here and at any other sites you visit to find other posts related to hackle. Ask the salesperson at Cabela's if they have a good book that explains hackle well. Look through it before you buy it to be sure that it will answer the majority of your questions. Good luck.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:51 PM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyflytyer View Post
In a nut shell, rooster necks and saddles are most commonly used for dry fly hackle. The necks can also be used for dry fly tails. The big difference between necks and saddles is the size of flies they tie. Necks have the biggest assortment of sizes, ususally tying down to 28-30. Saddles are usually sized 10-16 (this is a generalization, each saddle is different). If you only tie dries in the 10-16 range, a saddle is all you need. If you tie smaller flies, a neck would be the way to go. Grade 2 would be my suggestion for someone starting out, especially if they are on a budget. This is a VERY basic overview of hackle. Do a search for hackle here and at any other sites you visit to find other posts related to hackle. Ask the salesperson at Cabela's if they have a good book that explains hackle well. Look through it before you buy it to be sure that it will answer the majority of your questions. Good luck.
ok thanks.
Old 11-14-2009, 04:30 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

Rooster Necks vs Saddles Uses, and Selecting from a Neck

Check this Link Peregrines typed some good info on hackles

Chris
Old 11-14-2009, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisinselwynNZ View Post
Rooster Necks vs Saddles Uses, and Selecting from a Neck

Check this Link Peregrines typed some good info on hackles

Chris
WOW thanks he pretty much covered everything...