The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2011, 11:54 AM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold
Default #1 Micro-Barb Saddle for Dries; Good enough?

Hope to get a quick and experienced answer about this. I picked up a METZ #1 Micro-Barb grizzly saddle for $15, pretty good deal these days. The package says it is for dry flies, but I am suspicious. I know fly fisherman don't usually have opinions , but please dig deep and let me know what you think. It is very convenient because of the length of the feathers. My other grizzly dry is good but the feathers for stimulators, or big stoneflies are often shorter than I'd like. So far I've put it on some foam Stoneflies, but dont' know if I should trust it for a typical mayfly pattern.

Is it great, good enough, or insufficient for dry fly use?
Old 03-22-2011, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: #1 Micro-Barb Saddle for Dries; Good enough?

15$ is a great deal! Yes it's good enough. However as you've probably noticed you are limited on the size of flies you'll be able to tie with it, but on the other hand you'll get many flies out of a single hackle.
You can also take a few hackles and dye them to suit other needs.

If they have any others I'd go back and get what you can, especially with the "hair Craze" going on using this type of hackle.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 03-22-2011, 12:22 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Thanks fysh, now that you said I should dye some of them I'm thinking of a super pattern that I bought a few years ago and have never tied because I didn't want to pony-up for the red-dyed grizzly. Black elk hair caddis with a small grizzly-dyed-red palmered up the body. I bought 5 of them and the fish absolutely destroyed them. The red must have been an additional attractor for them.

Sorry, none left. It was an e-bay deal a couple of months back; seemed to be at least half price of any place on the web even after shipping.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:23 PM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold

The only negatives about these are they tend to be mostly a single size, or a narrow range of sizes on a saddle AND the stems sometimes twist when you're wrapping them, which can be rather frustrating.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimmy7 View Post
The only negatives about these are they tend to be mostly a single size, or a narrow range of sizes on a saddle AND the stems sometimes twist when you're wrapping them, which can be rather frustrating.
I tied a dozen foam bodied black stones today and found that happening a couple of times. It was hard to get it oriented around the hook the right way and I had to scrap the feather on two of them and restart the hackle.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Ausable-

sounds like some grizzly feathers and some sugar free KoolAid might be in order to tie up some of those caddis: here's a link to wovenstone's excellent recent post:
Dying feathers, the magic of Kool-aid
Old 03-22-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peregrines View Post
Ausable-

sounds like some grizzly feathers and some sugar free KoolAid might be in order to tie up some of those caddis: here's a link to wovenstone's excellent recent post:
Dying feathers, the magic of Kool-aid
That's exactly what I was thinking of! I read that thread a couple of days ago and wondered if I would ever need to dye feathers...Wonder what my wife's gonna say when I put "raspberry kool-aid" on the shopping list for this week.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:50 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausablebrown View Post
Wonder what my wife's gonna say when I put "raspberry kool-aid" on the shopping list for this week.
As long as you don't start a Fly Tying cult and move to Guyana she will likely just laugh.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I tied a dozen foam bodied black stones today and found that happening a couple of times. It was hard to get it oriented around the hook the right way and I had to scrap the feather on two of them and restart the hackle.
You might want to try a pair of the rotating hackle pliers. They won't prevent the hackle from twisting, but can make the work of untwisting a hackle easier.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 03-22-2011, 01:19 PM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
SOMETIMES you can avoid this by tying in the hackle by the tip rather than the butt, where the stem is smaller. I'd also assume if you're using a rotary vise, you could hold the stem out really tight at a right angle to the hook, then rotate the vise to apply the hackle- that might make it twist less (?)