The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2011, 08:27 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Old Feathers

A friend of mine who also collects old fishing tackle just called to let me know that he is sending a bunch of old feathers. I am starting to get excited because he mentioned some of the packages have never been opened and where priced at $1.00 back in 1948!

When I get them in I will take some pics and post them for comment and identification as I am only a beginning fly tier.

Dave
Old 03-23-2011, 08:48 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Old Feathers

Any large Wood Duck or Large Mallard Flank are absolutely no good for anything to do with fly tying. Please pm me for my address so I can help you dispose of them properly.
Same goes for Jungle Cock!!

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 03-23-2011, 09:11 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
Any large Wood Duck or Large Mallard Flank are absolutely no good for anything to do with fly tying. Please pm me for my address so I can help you dispose of them properly.
I appreciate your concern Fysh, there are not many willing to go the extra mile for a fellow forum member.

PS: Just got a PM from Davo...He said that I was getting hosed and offered to pay for shipping and disposal of the feathers.

Dave
Old 03-23-2011, 10:02 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

LMAO! You guys are killing me!

Dave: You must be pretty excited, I sure hope you get something really cool!

Larry

Old 03-23-2011, 10:24 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
I appreciate your concern Fysh, there are not many willing to go the extra mile for a fellow forum member.

PS: Just got a PM from Davo...He said that I was getting hosed and offered to pay for shipping and disposal of the feathers.

Dave

Oh that Dog! That's it the next time I'm in the front of the boat he's getting a Zoo Cougar in the ear!!

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 03-24-2011, 01:39 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Just make sure that there aren't bugs in those skins (if you have skins). I know people who lost quality Hoffman saddles because of bugs.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:31 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
Yup, the same would be true of Blue Chatterer, Indian Crow, Toucan, Heron, Golden Pheasant, Kingfisher and a few others.

I have it on good account that opening bags of old feathers is much better done out here on the East Coast, since high altitudes tend to have an immediate negative effect on the condition of the materials once the packages are opened.

I could offer to do a complete inspection for you under optimal conditions and promise to return to you all of the feathers that I think you should be tying with.

Sounds like a potentially great find!

More seriously, you'll probably want to steam them before you use them because age makes most biological materials more brittle and hard to work with (humans included!)

Pocono
Old 03-24-2011, 09:18 AM

From the replies received it sounds like I could start a new career in the feather antiquities business! (I wonder if this is how Edwin Rist got his start)

Fysh: I would make sure Davo isn't carrying his nightstick first.

Mosca: Thanks for the advice, I have heard that putting cloves in with the feathers will keep the bugs out.

Pocono: Your offer to personally hand select feathers worthy of my talent is indeed generous. (cool idea on the steam)

I should show these replies to my wife as she thinks I don't have any friends.

Dave
Old 03-24-2011, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator

Pocono, You my friend owe me a new keyboard! I'll never get all of the coffee I just spewed out of it! lol!

I ain't skeered of Davo! (not many know this but his nightstick is actually one of those blowup kinds).

We are a friendly group.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:40 AM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Oh I hope I'm not too late...but if any of those packages have the name Hoffman on them I have it on good authority that they are of the worst quality and I'd be willing to pay for shipping so that I could dispose of them properly for you. Almost forgot...if in of those are Hungarian Patridge or Woodcock they need to quarantined in s special California facility for an undefined period which happens to be in my home. I'd be willing help you with that also by pay for shipping as well of course.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.