The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2009, 05:07 PM

fish_gypsy is on a distinguished road
Default Setting flies in Acrylic

I've seen some of the keychains and other knicknacks around where flies are set into acrylic or some other plastic media. I was thinking it'd make neat stocking stuffers or something for Christmas and graduation gifts- has anyone on the board attempted it?

http://www.fishgypsy.wordpress.com
Old 11-29-2009, 06:04 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Setting flies in Acrylic

I made key chains out of four leaf clovers years ago. The toughest part was coming up with a mold to use as the vessel for the acrylic. That will be up to you. You will find help at your local crafts and hobby store for selecting the acrylic and possibly some pointers too. I made mine from a small round plastic container and drilled the edge to fit a bead chain when they were set.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-29-2009, 07:37 PM

Thanks, i appreciate it!

Old 11-29-2009, 10:25 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Gypsy,

What type fly are you thinking to encapsulate in the acrylic? I'm thinking of a classic wet fly like the Royal Coachman wet, or Brook Fin..................

I guess that's up to you to decide but you better practice with a garden variety until you get it figured out. You will need to post pictures of the finished items when you have them.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:07 AM

That's along the lines of what I was thinking about- traditional winged wets like the Royal Coachman, Parmachene Belle, King/Queen of the Waters, etc... I'll probably wind up flipping through the plates of Favorite Flies and their Histories by Mary Orvis Marbury for inspriration, and try and tie whatever strikes my fancy.

I'm definitely going to try and play around with the stuff with some less intense patterns, and see how they turn out. I'll post some pics showing my progress when I get started : )