The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2011, 08:07 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Crystal Midge Size 24

Today I tried tying some size 24 Crystal Midges using the holographic flash material Jimmie sent me awhile back, but I'm having issues keeping the eye clean. Anybody have a good method to keep the eye area clean when tying size 24 or smaller flies? I've used the straw technique on larger flies but my straw is way too big for these little guys. Maybe a swizzle stick?
Click the image to open in full size.

Larry

Old 03-26-2011, 09:55 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Crystal Midge Size 24

Mcnerney

Just thinking out loud here but what if you took some wire and used it to wire your feathers back a little until you finished wrapping and then take the wire off. Just wrap it on loosely.

Dave
Old 03-26-2011, 11:29 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Dave: That just might work, I'll give it a try, thanks!

Larry

Old 03-27-2011, 12:55 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Nice miges Larry
1...does this material exist in olive green.
2...you can use a little piece of ballpen tube or take an electric wire the size you need,cut a little piece and remove the copper wire ....will try to explain that to you when we chat if you don't understand what I mean
Old 03-27-2011, 04:07 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Nice looking midges Larry...Would a round toothpick work for you?

Dan
Old 03-27-2011, 05:38 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Been a long time since I messed with a hook that small Larry but when I did........... I used to take a business card and very close to the edge I punched a little hole with a tack, then cut a slit to the edge with a razor. Next take scissors and trim the card down so that you are not working with a full size business card. You can push the card over the eye and 'gently pull the thread through the slit you made. Then you finish the head and slip the card off to the rear by using that slit. This works and you will find your own preference for hole size and the width of the slit. A card will last for a long time too.

Nice work Larry, I never tied too many flies that small but when I did I figured out the 'card trick' and I was able to make a nice neat trico this way.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-27-2011, 08:04 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuronRiverDan View Post
Nice looking midges Larry...Would a round toothpick work for you?

Dan
Dan: What I was talking about was the stray feathers around the eye, I'd like to be able to pull them back somehow as I wrap the head so it looks a little cleaner and doesn't have the little tag ends sticking out. I know they will fish just fine, but they don't look they way I want them to.

Larry

---------- Post added at 07:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:52 PM ----------

Ard: I swear you are a genius! Such a simple solution, but I can see how effective that would work. Thanks, I can't wait to give that a try!

Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Been a long time since I messed with a hook that small Larry but when I did........... I used to take a business card and very close to the edge I punched a little hole with a tack, then cut a slit to the edge with a razor. Next take scissors and trim the card down so that you are not working with a full size business card. You can push the card over the eye and 'gently pull the thread through the slit you made. Then you finish the head and slip the card off to the rear by using that slit. This works and you will find your own preference for hole size and the width of the slit. A card will last for a long time too.

Nice work Larry, I never tied too many flies that small but when I did I figured out the 'card trick' and I was able to make a nice neat trico this way.

Ard

Old 03-27-2011, 11:38 PM
Administrator

Ard: Here is my first attempt at using the small piece of business card to pull back the herl so as to cleanup the eye area, it isn't perfect, but I think with a little practice I can get some pretty nice results. Thanks!

Larry

Old 03-28-2011, 07:55 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Ard: Here is my first attempt at using the small piece of business card to pull back the herl so as to cleanup the eye area, it isn't perfect, but I think with a little practice I can get some pretty nice results. Thanks!

Larry
Ard, That was a great suggestion...

Dan
Old 03-28-2011, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuronRiverDan View Post
Ard, That was a great suggestion...

Dan
You're right Dan...
Can you send me a card Ard?