The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2011, 02:09 AM

951tightline is on a distinguished road
Default Tied my first flies today!

Finally got some equipment and started tying some bass flies. Nice UGLY streamers! All I really have for streamers is green, black, purple, and yellow marabou. They look like they will work, I will head out tomorrow and give em a go. I would post some pics but they look crappy on camera but not bad in person. But I'll snap a pic tomorrow of one in a bass's mouth!!!

Tight Lines
Scott
Old 03-27-2011, 08:10 AM

famill00 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Tied my first flies today!

Congrats! Before you know it you will have more materials than you know what to do with!

-Forrest
Old 03-27-2011, 10:02 AM
EXPATRIATE will become famous soon enoughEXPATRIATE will become famous soon enough

You poor thing-you do know there's no cure for fly-tying-itis! Only empty wallets!
Old 03-27-2011, 02:03 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Let us know when you are ready and we can introduce you to the 10 step "breaking the fly tying addiction program". It doesn't work but your family will see that you are trying.

Fly tying is a hoot and am looking forward to more of your comments.

Dave
Old 03-28-2011, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats Scott, sounds like you're on your way.

Marabou is a great material-- inexpensive, easy to work with, and lots of action in the water. Hopefully fish will be jumping all over your streamers.

I just posted this for the folks in the swap forum for the Panfish and Bass Swap ( you're welcome to join in on that by the way), but here's a link to the fly paterns page of Ward Bean's excellent site called Warm Water Fly Tyer:

Fly Patterns - Warmwater Fly Tyer - by Ward Bean

If you follow the links to the listing of flies in each category (written in orange letters) you'll get taken to some excellent step by steps for a whole bunch of bass and panfish flies. Some are a bit more complicated like the bass bugs with spun deer hair, but there are a bunch of super effective and esy to tie patterns on there too.

Good luck!

Mark
Old 03-28-2011, 12:16 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Welcome to the fly tying disease it's terminal! Sounds like you are on your way. If you haven't yet I suggest taking a fly tying class at a fly shop for club. I'm very new to tying to or may be more accurate renewed, because I tried for a season years ago. Taking a class and buying a quality vise has made all the difference for me. Before you know it you will have an entire room full of materials. Matter of fact at the rate I'm going I'll need a bigger house.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:15 PM

carman9941 is on a distinguished road

WOW!!!, I feel much better now,I thought I was the only one that has the bug
Old 03-29-2011, 05:47 PM

951tightline is on a distinguished road

Ok soooooo I'm ADDICTED! All I'm doing is tying flies, I went threw my only pack a hooks so I'm postponed till I get some more. So far I haven't even followed one fly pattern, I have just been making my own creations and they don't look bad at all! Just want to say thanks to everyone that gave me advice!

Tight Lines
Scott