The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2009, 09:31 AM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of
Default Alternative Tying Materials And Tools

Thought a thread on unusual and alternative tying material and tools might be fun.
A friend turned me onto computor parts bags, the anti static kind, for scud backs. Another uses the thin white foam that protects laptop screens for wing material.
Gluing a peice of velcro, the hook side, to a popcicle stick makes a great dubbing pick.
What have you all found around the house, shop, wife's cosmetic bag or any place else to put to use tying?
Old 12-07-2009, 11:01 AM

flytyer56 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Alternative Tying Materials And Tools

The tinsel you use on your Christmas tree makes good tinsel for tying. Get it after Christmas and it's really cheap, and comes in several different colors.
Then You're The One!!!!!
Old 12-07-2009, 11:03 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I tie some nice, sparse, SW streamers from clown wig material

Click the image to open in full size.

I've had a small collection of them for years, not really knowing to use them for.
I've finely figured out that strands of material could be tied in and then 'sculpted' with heat.
I'll have to do a tutorial sometime
I've used the straight, witch type, halloween wigs for tying big streamers for years, but curly wigs have built in body without the bulk
Old 12-07-2009, 12:13 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Shape a ball of bees wax on a small dowel to pick up/mount beads on your hook (cheap toliet seal is enough bees wax to make hundreds). Beads will stick to the bees wax.
Cut one quarter out of the circlular eye of a burlap needle (new shape is a question mark) to use as a dubbing loop spinning tool. You can make the same tool out by bending a paper clip to the question mark shape.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:13 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Yat,

I am not very unconventional in my flytying as far as being an innovator of tools or materials. However I have found that Boss provides an endless supply of dubbing material for bodies when I use the rake to remove undercoat and beautiful hair for winging on my salmon flies. The long hair is almost identical to black bear or dyed polar bear and it and the dubbing come in three colors.

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-07-2009, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

What a beautiful dog you've got Ard!When I was a child I dreamt to have a german sheperd ....I was watching the adventures of Rintintin and Rusty on tv in the early sixties.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:37 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Yat: I also like the computer parts bags for cutting into strips and using them for flashback material on nymphs.

Ard: Nice looking dog, I can see where he would be a good source of dubbing. Reminds me of the time my mom took in a stray German Sherpard, that dog was psycho. She kept him in the back yard and sometimes I could go in the backyard no problem, next time he would bare his teeth and start barking and running after me. I was glad when she got rid of that dog.

Larry
Old 12-08-2009, 08:08 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Ard, nice looking dog...My old yellow lab Maggie provided me with lots of very pale yellow dubbing and useful guard hairs over the years. The wife also had an old yellow cat we adopted that looked exactly like "Morris" from the cat food commercials. He provided me with best looking "sulfur" dubbing I've ever used.

Dan
Old 12-08-2009, 08:03 PM

flytyer_neal has a spectacular aura aboutflytyer_neal has a spectacular aura aboutflytyer_neal has a spectacular aura about

The reflective streamers on my daughters bike handlebars is killer for flashbacks and streamers......some is even hologram.......for those low light cloudy days.....
Old 12-08-2009, 08:35 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

A cow (stomach) magnet to magnetize sissors or pliers for picking hooks out of the box. The guys I tie with all have one.
It's a cylindrical magnet that is put in cows stomachs to attract wire, nails, etc.