The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2011, 09:38 AM

Cleetus is on a distinguished road
Default Good "tooth-cutting" flies

Hello Everyone!

After 30 years or so of fly-fishing for trout (I'm 37), I have finally begun tying flies.

I am curious from some of you who've been tying for a while if there are any flies that are good to cut my teeth on. That is to say, are there any flies that are simple but incorporate some (or all) of the basic skills of tying flies?

I live and fish in Maryland on the Gunpowder, so we have a good year round fishery with lots of different effective patterns.

Thanks!

-Cleet
Old 03-27-2011, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good "tooth-cutting" flies

Have a look on the share patterns and fly patterns threads you'll find a good number of easy to tie flies.There are also lots of videos on you tube.If I had to use only three of my pattens I would keep 1 dry /jpb olive(can be seen on the early season swap)2 /emerger ugly green 3 /nymph chub special.They're all easy to tie.
Old 03-27-2011, 02:49 PM

famill00 will become famous soon enough

Get yourself a book. Most people start on a Wooly Bugger.

-Forrest
Old 03-27-2011, 03:12 PM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all

Woolley bugger (for the palmering of hackle, work with flashabou)

Griffith's gnat (learn to tie with percock herl and pick proper gauge hackle)

Adams/parachute adams (learn to dub, make a post and a parachute)

Clouser minnow (learn to use the hair stacker, work with bucktail, tie on lead eyes)

pheasant tail nymph (learn to make a wing case, tie on 'legs')

copper john (similar to pt nymph in construction, but tying on biots takes practice, wrapping the copper wire on tightly more practice)

elk hair caddis/stimulator (either one teaches you to make an elk hair wing)

Chernobyl ant (learn to work with foam and rubberlegs)

Royal wulff/humpy (learn to tie a royal coachman body, and a separated hair wing)

Tried to do that in order of difficulty. The C- ant isn't that hard, but working with foam is strange at first. It moves around a lot. But once you get the hang of it, you can whip up a C- ant in under two minutes. And for the CJ, when I say tightly, I don't mean put a lot of torque on the wraps, you'll either bend the hook or break the wire. Or both. I mean getting the coils to lay snug against each other, like with a professionally tied copper john. It takes practice.

One tip, when you first tie on the wire, use your fingers to push the wire underneath the shank of the hook. Take a few wraps to secure it, then wrap back to the bend. If possible, turn the vise so that you are looking down on your CJ when wrapping the wire, so you can correct any drifting coils. And go slow at first. You'll get the hang of it quicker, and will develop speed as you go.

Another note: Hair is tough to work with. It helps to be patient while doing anything with hair, whether you're cleaning it, stacking it, or tying it on your fly. And pretty much no matter what you do, your first few tries are going to be ugly. Usual suspects are you didn't clean the hair suficiently, so it didn't stack completely, so the wing is uneven. Or, you used too much hair, so it didn't stack completely, and the wing is too heavy and uneven. Or, you didn't center it well when you tied it on, so the fly leans to one side in the water.

These 'bad' flies will all catch fish btw, they just annoy your sense of symmetry. But after awhile you'll figure out how to get them to look 'professional,' and then you'll really be hooked.

Peace.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark
Old 03-27-2011, 03:50 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

I agree with starting with a.....
Wooly Bugger
Caddis Pupa (beadhead)
Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear
Old 03-27-2011, 05:28 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Cleetus

I would suggest getting Charlie Cravens book of fly tying. It starts out with the simplest of flies and progressively takes what you have learned and applies it to more difficult patterns.

Dave
Old 03-27-2011, 10:37 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
Hello Cleetus

I would suggest getting Charlie Cravens book of fly tying. It starts out with the simplest of flies and progressively takes what you have learned and applies it to more difficult patterns.

Dave
Cleetus: Like Dave advised, get Charlies book it is the best one that I have come across, here is a link:
Amazon.com: Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying (9780979346026): Charlie Craven: Books Amazon.com: Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying (9780979346026): Charlie Craven: Books

What I like about his book is that he starts out very basic, lists the materials needed and then has some great photos that show each step in the tying process and gives a lot of tips along the way.

Larry

Old 03-27-2011, 10:52 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

bead head wooly bugger as well as an irresistable.

casey

ARFE