The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2009, 09:43 AM

idahoflyfisher is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Whats your vise?

I started with a cheapy cabelas vise as well. I used it for roughly 4 years and never had any substantial problems. Sure you couldn't clamp the size >18 very well, but back then i was tying much larger and simpler patterns. I just recently bought a Peak non-rotary vise off ebay for something like $70. I absolutely love it. I tied around 50 steelhead flies over thanksgiving and it was great. The jaws are great, it is built like a rock, and it is simple, which is what i like.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:48 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

I've got a Dan-Vise. When I was ready to buy it got the best reviews for its price range. Want to spend a little more the Peak vise got the best reviews.
The Dan-Vise is going to last me a long time. I'm pleased. I recently bought an extension arm, and some spare jaws for my Dan-Vise which throws it into the next price range anyway.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:58 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

I have a vosseler. Bought it because of the jaws and it was a bit different. When it was first introduced it received some good reviews. The handy thing for me is the suction cup base.
Click the image to open in full size.
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:13 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

For dries and nymphs I use a Regal Medallion on a stalk with a C-clamp mount. For streamers, of any kind, I use a Renzetti Traveler. Like Ard, my Traveler sat on the bench for almost a year; now it's front and center! It's easy to use and even holds 10X long streamer hooks pretty well when you're working down on the eye end of the hook. I really like being able to flip a fly upside down and use top hook tying techniques on the bottom. Oh, and did I mention being able to get really smooth streamer bodies from the bend to the eye.... and ditto for ribbing..... and la meme chose for palmered hackles........and..........and.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:41 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I have the same Vosseler as Kerry and use it at shows because it is a conversation piece.
Plus it has my name on it:

Click the image to open in full size.

But I still have and use my Renzetti Traveler with both the thumbscrew and the cam jaws

Rotary vise is the only way to go.
Old 12-12-2009, 05:28 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Joni, I remember when you got your Vosseler. It looks like it is really well built but it sure is a strange looking thing.

Frank
Old 12-12-2009, 05:44 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely! It suctions to car windshields beautifully and the totally adjustable head makes on the spot fly tying a breeze.

I have made attachments for it like the arm so I can rotate or spin the jaws rotary style.
Old 12-12-2009, 08:24 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Joni and Kerry: I can sure see that your Vosseler vice would indeed be a conversation piece. That suction cup would make it pretty handy to setup just about any place.

Larry
Old 12-12-2009, 08:52 PM

bi visable is on a distinguished road

Anyone have any experience with the Griffin Spider Vise?
Old 12-13-2009, 10:33 AM

BlueDun has a spectacular aura aboutBlueDun has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by bi visable View Post
Anyone have any experience with the Griffin Spider Vise?
I started with a Griffin Spider - it held up very well and I was able to tie a wide variety of flies with that vise. I think I could have used that vise for many more years. The only reason I sold it was that I started tying tube flies and the tube attachment would not fit on that vise. That is something to check for if you are going to buy a new vise and plan to tie tube flies b/c many of the vises on the market do not have enough room for the attachment.

Now, I have a Dyna-King Trekker.