The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2009, 04:59 PM

bi visable is on a distinguished road
Default Whats your vise?

Just curious what vise's everyone uses?

I use just a standard simple cabelas vise, one that you would get in a fly tying kit. Im looking to upgrade, im thinking about a Renzetti Cam Series Traveler.

Share some picture is you got them
Old 12-10-2009, 05:50 PM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of
Default Re: Whats your vise?

I've had mine so long that I can't remember even where I got it but I think it was off the shelf at a tackle shop in Billings MT. I'm sure it wasn't more than $30. Its kept its edges and can tie down to #24 though its not as easy as it would be with a midge tip or such.

I can't say I don't envy those with nice rotary vises but the price of one represents alot of hooks and quality hackle. So I just keep going with my old one.

If I were to upgrade, I'd get the best on I could afford and then some. There's alot of good collective Vise knowledge here and I'm sure you'll get the recommendations your looking for. For me....

Norvise fly tying system (I would also want those cool bobbins)
Renzetti - SE Master
pikes peak - peak rotary
Dyna-King - baracuda
Old 12-10-2009, 06:07 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I bought a Renzetti Traveler at a going out of business sale in 1994 for $63 in the box. It sat for a year while I continued to work on my Thompson 'A' and I also had a Thompson 360 which is an 'A' jaw built in a 360 rotary head. They seem to be rare and I use mine as my camp vise.

It took awhile to get the rotary thing figured out and I still do most winding by hand turns. They are handy for winding wire bodies like the body of the Tomahawk salmon fly. You can do well without rotary, I did for 26 years but I do like them.

I would recommend the Renzetti based on my using it.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-10-2009, 08:40 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I use a Regal Medallion Series Vise with the stainless steel jaws. I can tie flies as small as 32 (although I don't). Even though it is rated to hooks as large as size 2, I often tie some size 2/0 Tarpon and Striped Bass flies.

Click the image to open in full size.

MP
Old 12-10-2009, 09:49 PM

fish_gypsy is on a distinguished road

I also have a Regal Medallion, and absolutely love it. I think the important thing is to find a vise which suits your style. I like the Regal because it's built like a tank, accepts a wide variety of hook sizees, and is extremely simple to operate. You may be looking for other features, though.

http://www.fishgypsy.wordpress.com
Old 12-10-2009, 10:15 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

I used a Thompson "A" for years and then last year bought a Peak rotary vise on EBay and love the rotary function, even if I'm just inspecting the fly from diferent angles.

Larry
Old 12-10-2009, 11:28 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

I use a Danvise, which is a top-rated vise in the under-$100 range, and is a particular value with its "true rotary" capability and ball-bearing construction. I have tied down to # 28 with it, even though it doesn't offer special midge jaws. I particularly like its unique clamp, which is the best I've seen.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:15 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I been using a Thompson Pro for the past 22-24 years
It was a upgrade from an earlier Herter's

Maybe someday I'll get around to getting myself a rotary, but I'm not in a rush
Old 12-11-2009, 08:55 AM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

I'm new to the whole tying flies thing and love it. I started out with a cheapy vise from J Stockard when I bought some hooks, thread and the basic stuff to get started tying thread midges. The little vise lever recently began to mushroom out and started losing it's tightening power.
I saw a post by Pocono http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...highlight=vice about this vise and ordered one. It's very cool and I've been tying 22-24 midges with it the last few days. Winter here in the tailwaters requires tiny midges for the selective trout.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:38 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Everyone,

I have two Thompson's Model A and an early Norvise.

Frank