The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2009, 03:51 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future
Default Pictures???

Every time that I take a picture of a fly that I tied it comes out blurry, bad color, washed out, dark, etc. I use the "macro" setting.
A search shed no light (no pun intended) on my question.

Can a decent picture of a fly be taken with a point and shoot camera? Any tricks to it?
By decent I mean that can clearly be posted on the forum.
Mine is a little Sony point and shoot (DSP).
Old 12-11-2009, 04:09 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Pictures???

sending PM

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-11-2009, 05:23 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Jimmie,

It does have a lot to do with your camera. If your camera has a Macro setting you still have to make sure that you are not closer than the lens can focus. If you have a manual focus setting that makes it a lot easier.

Your problem is probably your depth of field. You need to stop down the lens to F8 or even F11. This gives you a much better depth of field. This will require a slower shutter speed so you need to be on a tripod. Or at least set the camera on something. You should also use your timed shutter release so you don't jar the camera as you click the picture. Good light is important and especially with a slower shutter speed.

So it takes some experimenting and a little practice.

Frank
Old 12-11-2009, 05:33 PM

bi visable is on a distinguished road

I have a point and shoot, best pics are when you zoom all the way out I have found. Try not to use flash and just use a lamp for light, also use the view finder if it has one. Hope this helps
Old 12-12-2009, 01:24 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Thanks guys. Just pulled out the camera manual. Looks like my camera will do what each of you have recommend so I'm going to try everything you said. Appreciate the help.
Old 12-12-2009, 06:52 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

In the general fly tying section there is a recent thread called photographing flies. That may help you some also.