The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2011, 06:17 PM

troutslayer has a spectacular aura abouttroutslayer has a spectacular aura about
Default Gold-Ribbed Hare's Ear

I just started back into fly-tying after years of buying and having my fishing partner make them for me. I'm having a little trouble with the wings splitting when I pull them over after tying them off on the backside and wanting to tie them off in front. What kind of feather should I be using and how wide should it be cut before attempting to tie it down?
"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)
Old 03-28-2011, 06:34 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice
Default Re: Gold-Ribbed Hare's Ear

I'm new to tying, but I'm pretty sure I can answer this one.

You use a mottled turkey tail feather or if you want to cheat you can use thin skin. Thin skin is easier to work with and the fish could care less.

To help prevent splitting if you are going with the turkey feather first spray the feather with artist fixatif, some people will coat the feather with head cement, but thats to much work. Artist Fixatif comes in an aerosol can and you just spray the hole feather with it. Fast and easy! You can get in craft and art supply stores typically in the area where they sell artists paints, chalk, and pencils. Its used on finished pencil and chalk drawings to prevent smudges from people touching them.

You can also use cheap hairspray that is made mostly of laquer (like White Rain), but I'm more comfortable with using the fixitif.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:07 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

I like to use Pheasant Tail feather fibers for my wing cases.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 03-28-2011, 08:09 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

FlyBum is right-on.
I use "Flex-Seal" to coat my turkey tail feathers. Not as much work as you might think. The guy that taught me to tie uses the artist fixative.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:59 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

That's one thing (of many) that I skip altogether

........the fly police once stopped me to look at my fly box and told me that if I didn't conform and tie my flies to the letter of the recipe, they didn't want me around
I just told them to screw.....
Old 03-29-2011, 05:45 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I use pheasant tail fibers as well. They're easy to work with, and I often use the tips as legs on the GRHE. I have lots of turkey feathers, but always have at least one pheasant tail next to the vise.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

As far as width of the wings case goes, when you cut a slip using about the same width as the hook gap is a good rule of thumb.

Sometimes the barbs of the quill slip nearest the stem are too thick to work with and tend to split when you tighten the thread tension to lock them down.

So if the quill slip is long enough, tie them down a little further out from where they were attached to the stem where the quill is thinner and easier to work with.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:48 PM

troutslayer has a spectacular aura abouttroutslayer has a spectacular aura about

Here is what a couple are starting to look like. They are on a size 14 hook. Comments or suggestions?

Click the image to open in full size.

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)
Old 03-31-2011, 06:44 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Crawler type mayflies, (the most important family of which is Ephemerellidae, which includes such major hatches as sulfurs, Hendrickson, pale morning duns, flavs, and western green drakes) which the hare's ear represents, are most recognized by their robust body, six stout legs and three tail segments.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:54 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
Here is what a couple are starting to look like. They are on a size 14 hook. Comments or suggestions?

You're off to a good start; but work on the heads, you're crowding the eyes a bit. For a wing case you might consider using peacock herl or midge diamond braid.

Dan