The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2011, 09:52 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Old Feathers Are In...

Just got the old feathers

One package of pheasant that has to be trashed due to bugs. A 144 gross package of size 14 dry fly hackle in assorted dyed and natural colors. A dozen package of mallard dyed wood duck yellow. Two peacock eyes. A package of assorted feathers dyed some as small as size 22. One piece of black herl (small piece) very fine stuff.

And for the grand finale 10 jungle cock eyes, two about 1/2 inch long and the other eight about 1 inch long.

My friend told me that this is a very small part of a box filled with fly tying materials that belonged to a gentleman named George Martin from Lancaster, Pennsylvania. One of Georges best friends was John Atherton (correspondence letters in the box) John was a pioneer in fly tying as noted in his bio and was a famous artist who drowned while fly fishing in New Brunswick, Canada in 1952.

Dave

Last edited by littledavid123; 03-28-2011 at 10:06 PM. Reason: more info
Old 03-28-2011, 10:12 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Old Feathers Are In...

Dave, congrats, it sounds like you received quite a good stash of feathers!

Larry

Old 03-28-2011, 10:52 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Any featherz iz good featherz!

Thanks for the reminder, I've got some Flank feathers in the freezer that I need to take out and wash tomorrow.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 03-29-2011, 05:14 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Nice haul! Sounds like George spent a lot of his time tying dry flies; which matches up pretty well with Lancaster, PA; and PA in general, the Northeast part of which is akin to the Catskills.

Pocono
Old 03-29-2011, 05:09 PM

carman9941 is on a distinguished road

interesting story, thanks for the update... I was wondering about this