The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2011, 04:21 PM

tyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to all
Default Wrapping marabou

Quick question about wrapping marabou....how do you do it?

I just end up clipping it off the main stem and tying it onto the hook shank and pulling it down and around. It doesnt look to pretty as I am sure you can imagine. It just leaves a clump of it on one side.

I am trying to wrap it all the way around the hook shank so it is sparse and spread out. Any advice would be great.

Thanks,
Tyler
Old 03-29-2011, 04:33 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wrapping marabou

The best way is to find the "sweet spot" where the stem no longer wants to bend easily and cut it there. Then tie it in from the butt side and wind it forward by the tip

Click the image to open in full size.

Like on this fly
Tying the Soft Hackle Streamer
Old 03-29-2011, 06:05 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

I'm not saying one way is better than the other, because I have never tried it from the big end of the feather. I locate the main stem, as far up the feather as I can and tie it in. I then wrap it while blowing on it from the front. Blowing on it pushes all of the stray fibers towards the rear of the fly and allows you to wrap cleanly in front of your last wrap. I tie it off before I get to the inflexible part that RipTide was talking about. It seems like you waste alot of maribou when you palmer it; but the look is great. It can take as many as 4 or 5 plumes on very large streamers. I tied one a couple of weeks ago that I have never tied before, it was double articulated; there were 12 plumes of Maribou when it was all said and done. Check out the video I posted here and you can see this guy palmer maribou. It really helps to see it done. Check out the monster I created a little farther down the post also.

Heres the thread for the double articulated streamer if you are interested...
*DOUBLE* Articulated Streamer
Old 03-29-2011, 07:16 PM

tyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to all

Wow I dont know but I want to fish where that guy is throwing those streamers. Those things were HUGE! I will try both methods and see which one works the best for me. Thanks for the help!
Old 03-29-2011, 09:39 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler185 View Post
Wow I dont know but I want to fish where that guy is throwing those streamers. Those things were HUGE! I will try both methods and see which one works the best for me. Thanks for the help!
That is what the White River is all about. I believe some kind of record brown trout came out of the White or a connected waterway. 40+ lbs!!! It was just broken by a lake run in MI last year.

It's the same with alot of things; both ways are right. I find it easier to finish tying off the feather when I have something substantial to hold onto (the thicker end of the quill), or else I would be pulling to hard and breaking the thin end of the feather. It's probably easier get the palmering to lay down right RIP's way.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:59 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

The best way I have found is to loop dub it without a stem. I got a set of the Pettijean clips Marc Petitjean Magic Tool Clip Set for Fly Tying and it does a great job of putting it all the way around the hook. You take the clip with the flat top, holding the marabou by the stem and the tip snap it down into the clip. Take the narrow tipped clip and place it over the marabou, tight to the flat topped clip. Remove the flat topped clip. Cut the stem off with it in the narrow tipped clip. Make a thread loop, and place the cuttoff end of the marabou in the loop, remove the clip, spin and then brushing the fibers back, wrap it on. It does a perfect job and is way tougher than a fly with the stem. If a tooth gets in it, it does not have the tendancy to come apart like ones with a stem. It's pretty much the only way I do marabou now.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Beautiful flies Dan.

Here's some more info that might be helpful.

Tyler:

First there are a couple of different types of marabou feathers, and if you buy a bag of "marabou" you may get some of each:

Marabou Plumes 4-6" long with thin flexible stems

Blood marabou- short feathers 1-3" long

"Woolly Bugger" marabou- plumes with a lot of long dense barbs at the tip

If you want to wrap marabou, look for the plumes with a thin flexible stem.

Here's how i do it.

I tie the plume in by the tip of it's stem and work forward.

After you tie in the tip, before wrapping, wet your fingers with (with water unless you want to taste dye) and gently stroke the barbs of the plume towards the rear of the hook--- this is called "folding the hackle" and you can do this with all kinds of soft hackle feathers. The moisture will help keep the barbs in place temporarily while you wrap. (For other soft hackle feathers like hen, woolly bugger saddles, partridge etc you don't have to wet your fingers)

By "folding"all you're really trying to achieve is a >o shape where the stem is "o" on the right and the barbs from each side of the feather are swept back a bit to form the ">" shape.

As you wrap the marabou forward the" >o " shape of the moistened, folded marabou will keep the barbs from getting all tangled up and matted down as you wrap.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:17 PM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Mark. Good tip. I'm glad you added it because you can't do some styles of fly the way I said. Things like spey flies for example. The two I am showing here are done with the stem. The bushy version is folded, and the more sparse version is where one side of the marabou has been stripped off. The fly is the spey version of the Polar Shrimp.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:12 AM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold

NICE flies!

Another tip for ensuring the thin stem of the marabou doesn't get destroyed or split and fray your fly.

Craft stores sell 'invisible thread' in both clear and smoke color, which is a very fine monofilament- it would be equivalent to 8x or 9x tippet material. You can tie in a length of this on the shank prior to tying in the marabou plume, pull it tight along the stem, and wrap the two together. This essentially results in an invisible ribbing that adds strength to the stem and will hold the marabou in place even if the quill splits.

I've used this material when tying a floss body fly as well, tying in a length and allowing it to dangle at the tail of the hook until the body is wrapped, then wrapping it as an 'overbody' to protect the floss from toothy damage and not discolor the material like head cement can. It doesn't change the look of the fly much, but it does sort of give it a segmented or 'scaled' look when the light hits it at certain angles.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:17 PM
Banned

Another great tip. Thanks stimmy7