The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2011, 03:35 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold
Default Tying Morrish Mouse

I can't find a video of someone tying (in English) this.

Any one have a good link?

Thanks, Dave
Old 03-30-2011, 03:44 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tying Morrish Mouse

Dave, Will this work:
Morrish Mouse | Fly Recipe | The Fly Bench

Or maybe this: http://kent-klewein.com/georgia-fly-...g-blog/?p=3600

Here is my favorite made from Nutria fur, you can buy the fur on EBay: http://www.jackgartside.com/step_coypu_flies_cont.htm

Larry

Old 03-31-2011, 09:13 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Great links Larry, thanks.. I've seen a version tyed using copper polar chenile that looks pretty good...

Dan
Old 03-31-2011, 10:27 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuronRiverDan View Post
Great links Larry, thanks.. I've seen a version tyed using copper polar chenile that looks pretty good...

Dan
Dan: Your welcome! If you can find a link or photo I would like to see that version, sounds interesting.

Larry

Old 03-31-2011, 02:53 PM

wovenstonefly has a spectacular aura aboutwovenstonefly has a spectacular aura about

This one is not a morish mouse but it's a pattern that has been good to me. The body rides low, the head stays out of water and the deer hair at the head pushes alot of water. I have been happy with it.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:00 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wovenstonefly View Post
This one is not a morish mouse but it's a pattern that has been good to me. The body rides low, the head stays out of water and the deer hair at the head pushes alot of water. I have been happy with it.
Click the image to open in full size.
Woenstonefly: That pattern looks like Jack Gartside's "Furgler", it is indeed a very good pattern. Here is the link, scroll down the page:
More Coypu Flies!

Larry

Old 03-31-2011, 09:25 PM

tyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to all

Is half the body rabbit?
Old 03-31-2011, 11:08 PM

wovenstonefly has a spectacular aura aboutwovenstonefly has a spectacular aura about

The furgler could be some of the inspiration for that pattern, but the furgler does not have the deer hair head. I think that's a key part of the fly. I have fished them with and without the deer and it works a lot better with the hair. I first saw it tied by Marty Howard but I dont know the name of it

Tyler185, Yeah the body is rabbit hackled around the hook I stop about 3/8" short of the eye to spin the deer hair.

I have fished that fly on rivers some but mostly I fish it on lakes at first light. or just before it's dark.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:02 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wovenstonefly View Post
The furgler could be some of the inspiration for that pattern, but the furgler does not have the deer hair head. I think that's a key part of the fly. I have fished them with and without the deer and it works a lot better with the hair. I first saw it tied by Marty Howard but I dont know the name of it

Tyler185, Yeah the body is rabbit hackled around the hook I stop about 3/8" short of the eye to spin the deer hair.

I have fished that fly on rivers some but mostly I fish it on lakes at first light. or just before it's dark.
Wovenstonefly: Thanks for the tip, I have never tried the mouse on a lake, I'll have to give it a try. Have you ever tried Nutria fur, it has a real mouse look to it if you use a pelt from an older animal as the guard hairs are really long and tan. You can buy them on EBay for around $25-30 but most of the pelts are from younger animals and don't have the nice long guard hair.

Larry

Old 04-01-2011, 08:03 AM

No i have never tried it. I'll have to get pelt. it seems like it wold work great.