The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2009, 03:10 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Married Wing Wet Flies

I've been fooling around with some winged wet fly patterns lately, but hadn't ever ventured into the area of married wings. Well, I gave it a try yesterday on an old pattern called Parmachene Belle. It's an interesting technique and one where you can (or at least I can) end up throwing away a lot of material. So far, I like the technique; but it's time consuming and I sense that there's a long, long ways to go before I'll ever be able to get comfortable with it.

Does anyone out there have experience with married wing wets? If so, I could really use some pointers.

Here's a pic of my first PB:

Click the image to open in full size.

I have a Jock Scott salmon fly pattern in mind; eventually, but it's only a very distant vision at this point.

Pocono
Old 12-28-2009, 05:05 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Married Wing Wet Flies

keep practicing, that one looks good. Buy only really good wing pairs. are you counting the fibers in each section ?
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 12-28-2009, 05:29 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

I'm just jumping on to say that is gorgeous Pocono. Looks like some skills there.
You know that I've got no advice, but am looking forward to others input to learn.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:22 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandfly View Post
Buy only really good wing pairs. are you counting the fibers in each section ?
Bob,

No, I eyeballed it. I used a bodkin to pick away at the fibers until I had something that looked reasonably proportioned. I'm sure that fiber counting is an important part of it. I'll give it a try on my next one.

Thanks.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:46 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Awesome!!!!!~
Old 12-28-2009, 10:07 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Allan,

Looks like a pretty good start for you there. I read your post earlier and sat down to tie a fly prior to making any comment. I did a lot of this type of fly tying in the 1978 - 1988 period. During that time I had discovered the Maritime Provinces and was in love with the Atlantic fishing. I still have many of my flies from that time but thought to wrap a fresh one so I could remind myself why I don't dress many patterns having married wings. Even with practice they are laborious. Back when I made many of them I had the business spot on. However with this type of work I am traumatised when I loose a fly to the bottom.

I do tie a few but not many. I favour a large version of the Brook Fin for fishing here but since you mentioned a Jock Scott I went snooping in my stuff to see if I had enough material to get close.

Below is a dressed down version with no horns. (I would call this River quality) This takes about 90 minutes 30 of which were spent making wings (a bit out of shape I guess) for me that is way too long for tying one fly. If the wings are done well they will hold up to the rigors of catching fish, I have a Silver Doctor which I have caught three salmon and one very nice trout on and it is still good to go. I may take a photo of it and post to this thread with it.

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

I think everyone should tie a few classic style flies just to gain the experience. After this type of vise work turning out a #18 Blue Quill will seem to be a cake walk. You will be surprised at how this style of tying will improve all your flies. Believe it or not I can still tie dry flies and do a good job of my Northern Tier / Catskill style tying. I don't make them now because I have no call for them but it is like riding a bike, one does not forget.

The only advice I can give for the wings is to do it until you have it down, then you be rounding out your tying skills.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;

Last edited by Hardyreels; 12-29-2009 at 01:37 AM. Reason: Duh
Old 12-28-2009, 10:20 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Allan and Ard: Very nice work!

Larry
Old 12-29-2009, 01:11 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Thank you Larry,

I believe Allan will do just fine with his wet flies and salmon tying. There is little I could say to improve on what he had done.

Ard

Last edited by Hardyreels; 12-29-2009 at 01:36 AM. Reason: Duh
Old 12-29-2009, 01:21 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Guys your flies are as just beautiful as a youg bride
Ard will you please stop calling Allan ...Allen
Old 12-29-2009, 05:28 AM

Ard,

That's a beautiful tie. If I'm counting correctly, that's 5 married sections per wing - it that right? I'm going to stay with 2's; maybe 3's for now.

There's another married wet fly that I'm interested in tying up; it's called Fontinalis. The married wing on that fly is supposed to be an imitation of a Brookie fin; orange body, a small gray strip near the top and a small white strip on top.

I read that in yesteryears, old trout fishermen used to catch a Brookie, cut the ventral fins off and put them on a hook to catch larger trout. That, as I understand it, is the genesis of the Fontinalis pattern. Here's a pic of that fly from Bergman's book: Trout:

Untitled Document

Being a huge Brookie fan, I can't pass that one up!

The richness of fly fishing history, particularly the regional variations of fly patterns, how they evolved, what the rationale was for a particular pattern, etc., is starting to be one of the key things that keeps me in this sport.