The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2010, 11:40 AM

morphius will become famous soon enough
Default wiggle room

Alright, so thanks to the help of a local fly fisherman who I am ever endowed to, I have graduated to stoneflies. The thing is is that he reccomended a senyo pattern callled the wiggle stone. I can't seem to find a recipe for it and how to tie it. I heard that this pattern is fantastic, but I dont know what is required and I was hoping that one of you guys could tell me how its done.

On another note, I was wondering if it is possible to take a tube fly and tie it on a regular streamer hook. Thanks in advance!!
Old 01-04-2010, 12:12 PM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of
Default Re: wiggle room

Click the image to open in full size.

This is sold by Orvis, but as you can see, the wiggle is due to a detached tail and body as tied on a seperate hook.

My interpretation of this picture would be:

trailing hook
Tail - black biot
body - black dubbing

main hook
thorax - green dubbing or peacock herl
casing/back - blue crystal flash
legs - black biot

black thread

As for how to tie: I would tie the trailing hook first and attach the mono with an improved clinch to this. Then tie the mono in on main hook starting at the eye and all the way down the shank. It could also be tied to the bend like with a dropper. with the thread at the main hook bend tie in wing case and dub the main hook for thorax leaving a couple mil behind the eye...pull over case and secure with a couple tight wraps...tye in black biot and build up head with thread and finish.

Last edited by futuramille; 01-04-2010 at 12:47 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:44 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
attach the mono with an improved clinch to this
Its tied with a loop at the rear fly then the ends are tied in on front hook. Thus the wiggle.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 01-04-2010, 09:25 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

could be Opalescent Estaz on that front fly, looks pretty much like a partial PTN or modified birds nest on the back probably biots on the tail. Sandfly may have the answer on how they are tied together, probably a mono loop.

Last edited by webrx; 01-04-2010 at 09:50 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:42 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Mono loop to attach the rear portion. You should be able to find a step by step if you google wiggle stone...

Dan

---------- Post added at 10:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:39 AM ----------

Mono loop to attach the rear portion. You should be able to find a step by step if you google greg senyo's wiggle stone...

Dan