The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2010, 10:38 AM

luked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the rough
Default Where do you purchase your tying materials

i am wanting to get back into fly fishing and tying as well and i have been out of it for so long that i really dont know what all i really need to get...when i first started years ago i just bought a cheap kit from Bass pro and worked up from there....now i have hardly nothing left at all and need a place to start over again....i have bought most of the tying tools that i think ill need off of ebay and have found quite a few kits on there with various materials but dont know if that is how i need to start out again or not...i know some of the ones i have looked at it does not seem like you really get much its jsut lots of diffrent stuff but very little in each kind of material...such as 5 marabo feathers and so on....so im lookin for some ideas on what would be the best way to start out again
Old 01-13-2010, 11:29 AM

wilky is a jewel in the roughwilky is a jewel in the roughwilky is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Where do you purchase your tying materials

i am still kinda new to tying so might not be the best person to answer but i bought the basic tool kit of ebay and am slowy buying better tools and my materials a bit each week and slowly geetting everything i need without it effecting my finances to much as i'm tight on money and found a little each week fits me best at the moment but if i see a bargin 90% of the time i buy it and do without food if need be lol but if tight on money buy a little each week is my advise ..and the wife dosent notice to much lol
vince
Old 01-13-2010, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

This could be a good way to get back into it- Tie-A-Fly | The easiest, fastest, least expensive way to tie great fly patterns

Otherwise- tell us what you're fishing for we can shed some light on what flies you'll need, and therefore what materials and hook sizes are needed.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:19 PM

luked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the rough

im fishing for trout in springs and rivers is my main target
Old 01-13-2010, 02:51 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

luked: I'd recommend that you get a copy of Charlie Craven's book "Basic Fly Tying", it is the best book I have seen on fly tying and will give you some ideas on what flies you might want to have for the streams you fish plus it lists out the materials you will need. Each fly in the book gets progressively more complex, so be sure to start at the front.
Amazon.com: Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying (9780979346026): Charlie Craven: Books Amazon.com: Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying (9780979346026): Charlie Craven: Books

Also take a look at Charlie's web site, he has 157 fly patterns listed with detailed instructions and a list of materials for each fly. That will get you started.
Charlie's FlyBox - Colorado's Best FlyShop and online Fly Tying Tutorials

Larry
Old 01-13-2010, 03:41 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Luked-

I'll 2nd Larry's recommendation-- Charlie Craven's book and website are great.

As far as buying materials, the best way to go is to buy them in person from a local fly shop if you have one near by--- let us know where you are maybe someone can recommend one if you don't know of one near you. Folks at the shop can help you select materials and give you a few pointers on tying them-- and even better is that you get to see and touch stuff before you buy it.

If you don't have a fly shop near you, the next best thing is to buy stuff online from a fly shop with a 1 -800 number-- so you can call and ask someone that ties questions if you're confused and get their recommendations for materials. I think buying online from a fly shop would be better than a big box store (where the customer service reps won't have a clue about tying) or taking a **** shoot with someone on ebay selling a bunch of assorted "stuff". The price for comparable quality material will be the same or very similar in most cases.

There are a number of good places to buy stuff on-line, with decent prices and helpful staff including:

JS Stockard JS Fly Fishing: Rod Building Supplies, Fly Tying Materials ( extensive list of materials, and informative catalog)

Feather-Craft Feather-Craft Fly Fishing | Fly Fishing Rods, Reels, Waders, Flies, Fly Tying Materials | Sage Rods | Simms Waders | Since 1955 (extensive list of materials and informative catalog)

Hook and Hackle Hook & Hackle Fly Fishing Tackle, Fly Fishing Supplies, Fly Tying Supplies and Fly Rod Building Supplies (good prices on the basics and house branded items)

and many others.

I'd start out by picking out materials to tie 2-3 basic, proven patterns that are pretty easy to tie, will teach you a variety of good basic techniques, and are proven fish catchers.

As an example for about 30-40 bucks you could get a bunch of materials to tie and bunch of these:
Bead Head and regular weighted Black and Olive Woolly Buggers size 8 (on a 3 or 4 extra long streamer hook)
Bead Head and standard Pheasant Tail Nymph size 14 (2 xl nymph hook)
Bead Head and standard Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear size 14 (2 xl nymph hook)

and still have a lot of basic tying material leftover to use on other patterns or the same flies in other sizes.

The tie a fly kits that big Cliff mentioned are also convenient-- the down side is that they run 15-20 bucks or so with only enough hooks/materials to tie 12 flies or so.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:17 PM

I have quite a few hooks left over from when i was tying a few years ago just no other materials such as hairs or hackle...i dont really have a shop close by at all....only ones that i know of are an hour away but there are quite a few around at an hour away....Feather Craft is one of them with some of the others being at Bennet Springs which is very big fly fishing area here.....think what im gonna do is get some extra cash together and go to one of the shops and spend some time with them and get some ideas on what all materials i can get to start out with and go from there
Old 01-13-2010, 05:17 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

I buy a lot of it from a local shop that recently opened. I also buy other items from E-Bay and I just bought two material kits for tying trout flies from J.S. Stockard. The material kits were very good! Everything in it was well thought out and useable. I have dealt with them before and they have always been very good.
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:32 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

I'd endorse Larry's recommendation of Charlie Craven's book. I have a number of good fly-tying books, but Craven's is really the best of them for someone starting out. His directions and description of materials can't be beat, and he has a number of unique tips that really help. His approach is to start with an easy fly so that you learn certain basic techniques, and then advance to other more-complicated flies building on what you have already learned. And you'll not find better pictures anywhere.

I'd also second Peregrines's recommendations for online materials suppliers. I haven't used Hook & Hackle much for fly-tying (although they've been great on other items I've gotten from them), but Feathercraft and JStockard are terrific resources. I particularly like the fact that JStockard has monthly specials that are really helpful and not just closeouts; for current example, they have 20% off this month on all hooks in stock, and that's a lot.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:32 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Here's what you do.

Go to Feathercraft. Develop a relationship, so they know who you are if you have to make a phone call. I'm sure that Feathercraft takes orders over the phone.

I have regular customers who call me for materials. These guys live far enough that they would have to make a special trip just to come down.

MP