The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2010, 11:42 AM

luked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the rough
Default Need some opinions on a vise

i had a really nice Anvil vise a while ago but i have let it ruin...so im on the hunt for a new vise.....have been lookin pretty hard at a Griffen Odyssey.....has anyone used this vise?
also if you have any other opinions on a good vise around $100 or close to that please let me know what they are....it will help a bunch

also looking at the Danvise Rotary as well
Old 01-15-2010, 01:20 PM

bekiu002 will become famous soon enoughbekiu002 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Need some opinions on a vise

I don't have any experience with Griffin vises, but I got the Danvise for Christmas this year. I just started out tying so I'm far from an expert, but I really like it. Its easy to use and hold a hook like a rock.
Cabot
Old 01-15-2010, 03:29 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

I tied with a Griffin Odyssey for probably six years or so. I think that looking back on it, it was one of the best bangs for my buck I have had to date. Nothing wrong with them, they are a true rotary and available with the cam lock jaws. At the time I had the screw adjustment on mine and I still liked it.
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.
Old 01-15-2010, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by luked View Post
i had a really nice Anvil vise a while ago but i have let it ruin...
How do you ruin an Anvil vise? Leave it on the porch in Key West or something?

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:30 PM

luked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
How do you ruin an Anvil vise? Leave it on the porch in Key West or something?
not exactly..i had moved and it was in my grage in the box...well the jaw piece rusted badly...cleaned it up best i could but the jaw wont close all the way....sent them an email but havent heard anything from them....need to call them to see if they will do anything...if not oh well ill just have to get a new one
Old 01-15-2010, 09:40 PM

BlueDun has a spectacular aura aboutBlueDun has a spectacular aura about

I learned on a Griffin Spider - great vise! The only reason I sold it was b/c I could not fit a tube fly attachment on it.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:18 AM

tonysav is on a distinguished road

Check out the Peak vise.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:50 PM

notenuftoys has a spectacular aura aboutnotenuftoys has a spectacular aura about

I just picked up the Griffin Odyssey Spider yesterday and tied about a dozen flies (combination of clouser and buggers) last night. This is my first vice, but for $85 at Cabela's it's a great value! Plenty of room to work behind the hook, and the hook is held very solid.
Old 01-17-2010, 04:46 PM

boser has a spectacular aura aboutboser has a spectacular aura aboutboser has a spectacular aura about

Does anyone else have a Danvise vise, or am I the only one? I just started tying and we picked this vise up at Cabelas for 85.00. Since I have only begun tying, I dont really have any experience to compare it to. It appears to work fine. I like the cam release lever....

Boser
Old 01-18-2010, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by boser View Post
Does anyone else have a Danvise vise, or am I the only one? I just started tying and we picked this vise up at Cabelas for 85.00. Since I have only begun tying, I dont really have any experience to compare it to. It appears to work fine. I like the cam release lever....

Boser
I've only had mine about 10 years, and have probably tied over 5000 flies on it. Its not perfect, but the fact that I haven't replaced it (in a period where I've bought at least ten rods and sold 3) should tell you something.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.