The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2010, 06:53 PM

luked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the rough
Default could some of you guys check over my shoppin list please

workin on gettin some of my tying stuf back after about a 5 year break.....i just got on cabelas website and went through some of the stuff that i could remember....can you all check this over for me and let me know if there is anything i am missing please....would be a great help for me

Grizzly,blue dun and brown dry fly necks
yearling elk hair
peacock herl
hares mask
deer bucktail
6/0 uni thread..black,brown.olive
head finish
copper wire
hungarian partrige hackle
maraboo...black,brown,olive,grey
goose biots....brown,white
mallard flank
pheasant tail
super fine dubbing...12 compartment asst
nymph dubbing,..12 compartment asst
lead wire

that was the majority that i could remember....if any of you all can think of something else throw it out there please
Old 01-16-2010, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: could some of you guys check over my shoppin list please

Quote:
Originally Posted by luked View Post
workin on gettin some of my tying stuf back after about a 5 year break.....i just got on cabelas website and went through some of the stuff that i could remember....can you all check this over for me and let me know if there is anything i am missing please....would be a great help for me
Quote:
Originally Posted by luked View Post

Grizzly,blue dun and brown dry fly necks

Grizz, Medium Dun and Brown are great choices. At some point down the road you might want to add a light ginger or cream, especially as it gets towards the late spring and early summer hatches starting in mid May.

yearling elk hair
peacock herl
hares mask

Great choices for a lot of stuff

deer bucktail
What will you be tying? If clousers, add beadchain or dumbell eyes, if bucktail streamers, maybe some gold, silver or pearl body braid (easier to use than tinsel)

6/0 uni thread..black,brown.olive
may want a pale yellow too for later season (mid may) hatches

head finish
copper wire

Good choices, maybe XS gold too?

hungarian partrige hackle
The packs of loose feathers are mostly large sizes-- with brittle stems. A partridge skin (about 25 bucks would be better if you're looking to tie stuff like softhackles, but a cheaper alternative, and dynamite for smaller flies is a full starling skin (about 6 bucks). If you're tying wets, dubbed or thread bodies are fine, but you might want to add some floss at some point later too.

maraboo...black,brown,olive,grey
Good choices, though I'd probably swap white for gray.

goose biots....brown,white
Get Turkey biot quill feathers instead-- the biots will be on one side of the feather stem and you'll have the quill on the other. The Turkey biots are longer and easier to work with than goose, and you'll have the quill section of the feather for wingpads (brown) and can cut slips for wings (white and brown for wets). They should be about the same price as goose biots (but you don't get the quill section with goose). I'd add black too for stoneflies-- biots for tails, quill section for the backs of the nymph. The longer turkey biots can also be wound easier on the hook shank for dry fly bodies, Soak them for 10 minutes first to make them pliable.

mallard flank
You might also want some white calf body hair for parachute posts and hairwing flies like Wulffs-- Most wulff recipes call for calf TAIL (also called "Kip Tail"). But calf BODY hair is straighter and easier to stack than calf TAIL.

pheasant tail
super fine dubbing...12 compartment asst
nymph dubbing,..12 compartment asst

Great choices

lead wire
I'd get Non toxic wire instead (since lead is banned from many waters). Figure .025 or .030" diameter for large stuff like buggers, and .010 or .015" for weighting nymphs

that was the majority that i could remember....if any of you all can think of something else throw it out there please

Are you set on hooks? If not I'm sure folks could make some suggestions

Some other stuff to consider, but not critical-- depends on what you want to tie and what you already have:

beadheads sized for the hooks you plan to use

Moose body hair (for dry fly tails on stuff like Wulffs)

White Poly yarn? for tying poly wing spinners and parachute posts on smaller dry flies (easier to use than calf body hair on smaller flies)

Pearl Krystal Flash? for adding a little sparkle to streamer patterns- the pearl color goes well with whatever color fly

Snow Shoe Hare's Feet? Natural color a good wing materials for emergers, and for dry flies like the Usual.

Bugger hackle? - either a bugger pack (better range of sizes for trout sized buggers but expensive) or strung saddle hackle (cheaper but maybe will run a little large for hooks smaller than size 6)

Chenille if you're tying buggers?

Keep asking questions if you have them. Hope this helps.

Last edited by peregrines; 01-16-2010 at 08:02 PM.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:03 PM

luked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the rough

thanks a bunch Mark....i am pretty good on hooks and beadheads as well since i did have a bunch left over from when i was tying a few years ago...i have hundreds of hooks so ill be good there for a while...i was hopeing my list of materials would do kind of the main stay for flies in my area...and i think they will...but never hurts to get some more opinions from more experienced anglers and tyers....im gettin there little by little....hopeing i can get on the water here soon...i did order a few flies online so i would have something to use here till i can get my materials and get back in the swing of things
Old 01-16-2010, 09:17 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

I’m a big fan of Sparkle duns and X caddis

I didn’t add them in, but you may also want to pick up:
a patch of Comparadun hair (fine deer hair)in medium brownish-gray, about 2 bucks -big enough to tie 100 flies or so
and some Antron or Z-lon in ginger or amber

The comparadun hair is used to tie an Arc wing to float the dry fly in the film (without hackle), and the Antron or Z-lon is a “shuck” in place of a tail—it helps to float the fly as well as imitate the dun mayfly/adult caddis emerging from it’s nymphal shuck. Just use whatever hook size and body color to imitate any hatch. These are particularly effective in pressured slow water areas.

Here’s how you tie them:
Sparkle Dun/Comparadun click on the Tying Instructions for the PMD Sparkle Dun for a step by step

and for the X Caddis, it's basically the same with a reversed wing tie in (Elk Hair Caddis style):
Grannom X-Caddis Tutorial
If you get into tying them, you’ll also want to pick up bleached, light, and dark shades of patches too.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:16 AM

tonysav is on a distinguished road

Good start you will add as you go.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:52 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

You can tell that you're a tyer. That's an excellent list IMO. While I was looking at your list I thought of a few of the same add-ons that Mark mentioned.
Think that I might add a few spools of different material since it's usually some of the less expensive stuff, like, gold/silver tinsel, colors of ultra wire (copper johns), colors of thread (hot orange stimulator), pearl tinsel(flashbacks).
OH, and a mottled turkey tail and wing feather.
Old 01-17-2010, 04:28 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

Yep I second that, it is a good list. I would add a spool of 8/0 black in there just for the smaller stuff.
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.
Old 01-17-2010, 04:55 PM

thanks guys like i said earlier i used to tie a lot a few years ago and for some reason got out of it...cant really remember why...but now wanting to get back in...have a few things left but not much at all....so slowly getting things back....really a shame cause i had a lot of great stuff that i used....used to tie tons of flies....tied more than i fished really but that the fun part of it...used to sell a few locally and still have had a few guys call family of mine askin if i was still tieing cause they wanted some...so now to get back into it has been a chore to figure out what all i need to do the mainstays i need here but im gettin there slowly