The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2011, 05:27 AM

Walter1023 is a glorious beacon of lightWalter1023 is a glorious beacon of lightWalter1023 is a glorious beacon of lightWalter1023 is a glorious beacon of lightWalter1023 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Using PolyPro yarn for wings on duns/caddis dries

I've started experimenting and tying some compara- style duns and Elk Hair Style Caddis using different color PolyPro yarn for the wing material. Normally I use snowshoe hair, sometimes CDC. It seems to have passed my 2 internal tests that 1) they float great..and i do soak them in rain x overnight 2) they pass my own aesthetic test when I view them from all angles in a container of water. I have not actually field tested them yet and I'm just wondering how many people tie using this.....I'm talking sz 16 and smaller. I've used it before only for parachute posts and spinner wings.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:52 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Using PolyPro yarn for wings on duns/caddis dries

Hi Walter1023,

I did a search on Poly Yarn Wings and found that a bunch of people are using Poly Yarn for a lot of different flies. Not only for wings and post but for bodies also.

Could you post a picture or two of your flies so we can see what your are doing?

Frank
Old 04-06-2011, 09:06 AM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold

in slick or slow moving water it's okay for a downwing, but I've found in plunge pool or fast water, if the wing gets wet they tend to sink pretty quick. The nature of the material results in it gathering water pretty quickly... possibly your Rain-X treatment will avoid some of this.

I tie Trude style flies with a CDC underwing and either a calf or other material overwing, doesn't take a whole lot longer but sure improves the float.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:05 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I really like this idea, I'm going to try it.
I'm a comparadun/usual kinda guy for the most part anyway as i don't like wasting expensive dry fly hackle
This will be an altogether new level of frugality !
Old 04-06-2011, 04:28 PM

Walter1023 is a glorious beacon of lightWalter1023 is a glorious beacon of lightWalter1023 is a glorious beacon of lightWalter1023 is a glorious beacon of lightWalter1023 is a glorious beacon of light

Hey Frank.....I unfortunately don't have the tech savy capability to post a pic but i'll try to get one up this weekend - using my Parents scanner
Old 04-06-2011, 04:44 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Walter,

Here is a link to a FAQ on how to post a photo on NAFFF. If you can't get it to work send me the photos and I will do it for you.

Frank
Old 04-13-2011, 05:23 PM

Frank.....sorry I have not had a chance to get a pic up yet I'm shooting for this weekend when I'm at my parents. Last weekend I was field testing my poly dries - and they passed.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:45 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Walter,

A friend turned me on to some poly wing spinners (ginger & slate) in the late 80's. I was as stubborn then as I am now and the use of poly for wings seemed too 'synthetic' to me and it took a few seasons before I tried them out. When I used them during a brown drake spinner fall they were the ticket. I bought several colors by 1990 and have made spinners with it ever since. They work great!

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;