The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2011, 09:17 PM

Zman3382 is on a distinguished road
Default Egg Fly Troubles

Well.. despite attempting several different methods, and different #'s of strands of glo bug yarn, I am officially frustrated with how my first 10 -20 egg fly attempts are turning. I'm not trying anything out of the ordinary.. I've tried the instructions on youtube for using 5 strands, and the instructions from the manufacturers website recommending 3. With either method, the "top" of the egg eggs up quite dense, and the bottom ends up either really sparse (5 strands) or non existent (3 strands)..

there are also some differing instructions between the methods regarding wraps in front of the yarn tie in, as well as wraps around the base of the yarn after tie in. Both methods agree to start all strands on top of the hook, but doing so seems to make the issue of sparse / non-existent underside even more pronounced..

any thoughts would be greatly appreciated thank you! - Zack
Old 04-06-2011, 09:50 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Egg Fly Troubles

You might try looking on YouTube, there are several different videos on how to tie an egg pattern.
YouTube - tying egg patterns

Larry

Old 04-07-2011, 12:13 AM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all

Had the same problem, then I saw this:

Makes the whole thing a lot easier.

Peace.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark
Old 04-07-2011, 12:14 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

It doesn't get easier than this:

Kelly.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:00 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Notice in the above video he is using McFlyFoam. I haven't found a better egg fly material. Try some.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:04 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
Notice in the above video he is using McFlyFoam. I haven't found a better egg fly material. Try some.
McFly Foam in the 'Early Girl' color - deadly!

Kelly.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:35 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I'm wondering what sort of eggs you are trying to imitate for use in the spring, in Virgina.
If it's suckers, (they're spawning now through May), their eggs are adhesive and stick together in clumps.

The "sucker spawn" fly is an old pattern and is tied with yarn in a series of loops.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:21 PM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

I third the McFly foam. If you don't know how well you like it and what colors will work they sell a small variety pack of it, enough to tie a couple dozen eggs. There is a guy from Branson MO that has an egg pattern video on youtube that was the best I have seen, but I have not been able o find it since I once stumbled across it.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:25 PM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough

liking the straw idea
Old 04-08-2011, 04:30 AM

Zman3382 is on a distinguished road

All - thank you for the responses! Hearing the input and watching those youtube clips (I hadn't seen those particular two as yet) has given me some ideas and thoughts to keep working with.

Rip Tide - to answer you question, I'm not trying to mimic anything in particular. I do a lot more tying than fishing and simply hadn't attempted any egg patterns before and wanted to give it a go I am about to join some friends fishing for stocked rainbows in West VA in the next few weeks though and I'm told egg patterns are the thing to use for them.. I would presume b/c they look like hatchery food pellets?