The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2010, 05:06 PM

mepeterser2451 is on a distinguished road
Default string keeps breaking

hey everybody, i'm a new tyer and I've got a problem with my string breaking. I read up on the helpful hints sticky. I'm sure its not getting caught on the point. Am I using the wrong string? I've used 100% nylon and polyester core.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: string keeps breaking

It sounds like you might have a burr somewhere inside the bobbin tube or on one of the ends of it. You can try polishing it down with fine steel wool, but you're likely just going to have to replace it. Griffin ceramic bobbins are my favorite and they're not too pricey.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:43 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

First question for you, did you buy this thread at a flyshop or fly material catalog? Sounds silly but sewing thread isn't going to work for you. Second, what type bobbin are you using? You could have a bur inside the tube that is cutting your thread. Test for that buy running small diameter yarn through the tube. You may very well be catching the hook point and not realize it.
Third, is it happening all the time or just occassionally?

Dan
Old 01-19-2010, 06:41 PM

bekiu002 will become famous soon enoughbekiu002 will become famous soon enough

Is it possible the bobbin is holding the spool too tight and creating too much tension on the thread?
Cabot-who is also very new to fly tying...
Old 01-19-2010, 07:14 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
It sounds like you might have a burr somewhere inside the bobbin tube or on one of the ends of it. You can try polishing it down with fine steel wool, but you're likely just going to have to replace it. Griffin ceramic bobbins are my favorite and they're not too pricey.
I've got a bad bobbin like that. Instead of tossing it out, I put my Kevlar thread in it. Take that you bleepity burr! Polishing it would not have worked. I think the burr is in the chrome inside and not reachable. It only busted tiny thread. Big stuff like GX2 and kevlar are ok.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:16 PM

mepeterser2451 is on a distinguished road

yah, its sewing thread, I think. i'll head over to cabelas i guess. I'll pick up a ceramic bobbin too just in case.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Fly tying thread comes in different thicknesses and strengths--

Since you're tying medium sized trout flies, something like Danville's or Uni in size "6/0" would be good, and a Griffin ceramic bobbin would be a a very good choice. Some metal tube bobbins--- especially imported ones, will have burrs that cut your thread and can drive you nuts.

If you were tying larger flies-- bass or saltwater stuff, or large trout streamers, a thicker, stronger thread like Danville's Flat Waxed Nylon would be a better choice.

As you gain more experience tying and get used to applying thread tension, and tying smaller flies size 18 and smaller, you might want to move to a thinner-- but weaker-- thread like 8/0. But stick with the 6/0 for now.

And try and keep a short distance-- 1" or less between the end of your bobbin and the hook shank-- it will help you place wraps accurately and minimize the chance that you cut it on the hook point.

Good luck