The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2010, 11:17 PM

smallieman will become famous soon enoughsmallieman will become famous soon enough
Default Looking for a Vise

Guys I am looking for a new Vise and I was at a local shop and tried the Danvise Rotary and liked it alot. What are some pros and cons... I am not looking to break the bank but I dont want to buy **** either
Old 01-20-2010, 08:08 AM

ab4usa is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Looking for a Vise

I just strated a fly tying class so I am no expert, but I bought a Peak Vise after lots of research and am very happy with it. Under $150.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:13 AM

bekiu002 will become famous soon enoughbekiu002 will become famous soon enough

Disclosure-I got my Danvise this Christmas so I'm not expert.
Pros: It rotates very smoothly, it seems to be well built with a sturdy C-Clamp, it comes with a DVD on how to use it,and most importantly it holds a hook like a rock.
Cons: If you don't like using the C-clamp you will pretty much have to go to E-bay to get a pedestal stand that will fit this vise.

Some people may say it looks like something straight out of Star Wars because of its odd shape and plastic body. But people like me think that is more of a pro than a con. To sum up, I really like mine. You won't break the bank and you won't get **** either.
Cabot
Old 01-20-2010, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

After 10 years and 5000+ flies with mine, I haven't upgraded. Nuff said?

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

I followed my forum friends' advice and bought a Peak Rotary a few weeks ago...I must admit I'm impressed by the quality of this vise for such a price
Old 01-20-2010, 12:31 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Well....I have a Peak vise, and love it as well. After owning it for a few years,
I finally ordered the midge jaws. I can tie a #20 fly with the standard jaws,
but the midge should offer much more clearance.

The Danvise does have a following, and I have seen them in person. I thought
the rotary barrel was a bit bulky, and I have seen that complaint before. You
say you were able to try the Danvise, so I suppose the bulk isn't a problem
for you. As long as it holds the hook sizes you're going to tie, I'd say get it.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:01 PM

flytyer_neal has a spectacular aura aboutflytyer_neal has a spectacular aura aboutflytyer_neal has a spectacular aura about

I have done my homework, and when that tax refund comes....it's gonna be the Peak Vise....what I like is all the attachments.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:34 AM

thompson48 is on a distinguished road

After reading many forums & threads also talking with Skip [thanks] I'm getting a Peak USA made, And what you guys say plus other forums say you can"t go bad , yes it is a little more but ? so I say Get A PEAK rotary ,
Old 01-21-2010, 09:15 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

HAve you looked at the Regal Rotary?

Dan
Old 01-22-2010, 03:46 PM

smallieman will become famous soon enoughsmallieman will become famous soon enough

My New Vise BOYS

Click the image to open in full size.