The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2010, 11:56 PM

katorade is on a distinguished road
Default Hook storage

I need help with hook storage I know you can get some hook storage plastic boxes. But I was thinking how the flies are stored in fly shops in there little square things. Have something like that but in my drawer. How could I build this?
Old 01-21-2010, 07:41 AM

luked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Hook storage

i actually just bought a box to put mine in the other day at wal mart in the craft section...its actually made to hold beads.....its got 24 small boxes with flip top lids on each one and they all go in one larger box...so it works very good and i like it over what i had...no way for hooks to get mixed up or anything...and you only have to take out the one hook you need
Old 01-21-2010, 08:36 AM

flytyer_neal has a spectacular aura aboutflytyer_neal has a spectacular aura aboutflytyer_neal has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by luked View Post
i actually just bought a box to put mine in the other day at wal mart in the craft section...its actually made to hold beads.....its got 24 small boxes with flip top lids on each one and they all go in one larger box...so it works very good and i like it over what i had...no way for hooks to get mixed up or anything...and you only have to take out the one hook you need
thats what I use....!
Old 01-21-2010, 09:56 PM

katorade is on a distinguished road

K thanks I will look into it.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:49 AM

Zman3382 is on a distinguished road

Is this the one youre talking about?

Walmart.com: Dot Box Storage System, 53-Piece Set: Crafts
Old 01-22-2010, 06:52 AM

dmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura about

Go to Bass Pro shops or other fishing supplier and pick up a small Plano box. (price about 8.00)

To me, the journey of learning is almost more fun than arriving at the destination of knowing.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:03 AM

luked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman3382 View Post
no thats not the one i have...mine is a small box...only cost $5
Old 01-24-2010, 01:59 AM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to flyfisher117

the kind of storage you are talking about isnt hard to make you need some thing board for backing then make the sides all around. then cut wood to divide long ways then cut boards to divide again short ways..thats the easy way theres a few other ways that are harder
Old 01-25-2010, 01:55 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

One of the positive things of the 20 compartment plastic hook boxes is that each compartment has a curved bottom. Helps to press one hook against the side and just slide up and out. They also aren't very expensive.
Those 7 day plastic pill boxes work well too.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:10 AM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

The other thing about Plano boxes is that if you open the lid to get a hook and you drop the box, you lose all of the hooks. If you have a box with individual flip top lids it doesn't happen in such a spectacular way.
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.