The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2010, 10:50 AM

luked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the rough
Default A question on Dubbing

so i been trying to round up some tying materials and jsut get the basics for now...im on J Stockard website now looking at getting a few things and they have the Dubbing Assortments in the 12 compartment dispencers...what im lookin to get is dubbing for nymphs...but i have no idea which one to get...here is the link for the dubbing can you all suggest me some to get?
JS Fly Fishing: Rod Building, Fly Tying: Hareline Dubbing Dispensers with 12 Colors
jsut looking at tying some of the normal style nymphs for now so just need something to get me goin again
is Antron better or maybe hare-Tron or what

or maybe the Quick Decent dubbing?
Old 01-21-2010, 10:57 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan
Default Re: A question on Dubbing

I would go with the HareTron, or Australian Opossum if they have it...

Dan
Old 01-21-2010, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A question on Dubbing

For dryflies something like the Superfine would be good-- fine synthetic fibers that dub easily and don't wick up water.

For nymphs you'd want something buggier- with some spiky guard hairs (or other comparable fibers).

I probably go with either the
Rabbit Assortment or the
Ice Dub Trout Assortment with synthetic fibers that are good for nymphs and includes UV colors. A nice assortment of buggy colors.

They both have a nice range of colors that will be useful to you for fishing in Missouri.

Haretron is a mix of rabbit and Antron for a bit of sparkle and is also a popular choice, but I think the assortment has colors that will be less useful to you in Missouri like the pink and golden stone