The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2010, 04:13 PM

FliFysh is on a distinguished road
Question Patterns to get me started?

My tools finally arrived in the mail and I have already tied a few buggers and various make-shift flies with materials I already had.

What are a few patterns that are fairly easy to tie and will be very effective on trout? Just something to get me started so I can buy different materials (it can get expensive!)

Also, does anyone have any tips on saving money when obtaining materials?

I only fish on days that end in Y.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:26 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan
Default Re: Patterns to get me started?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FliFysh View Post
My tools finally arrived in the mail and I have already tied a few buggers and various make-shift flies with materials I already had.

What are a few patterns that are fairly easy to tie and will be very effective on trout? Just something to get me started so I can buy different materials (it can get expensive!)

Also, does anyone have any tips on saving money when obtaining materials?
Caddis larvae, stonefly and mayfly nymphs, emergers, parachutes...I hope you got a good fly tying book when you bought your tools. Charlie Cravens book is highly recommended.

For saving on materials, a lot of items sold in fly shops and catalogs can be found at craft stores; glass beads are one example. If you have friends that hunt ask them to save feathers etc...As far as hooks go, shop around and buy in bulk on hooks you use on a regular basis; E-Bay can be a good source.

Dan
Old 01-21-2010, 05:04 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

A simple fly that is really effective for trout in the summer months is an ant. Use a 18 or 16 hook, a small section of dubbing at the back, hackle in the middle and another small section of dubbing at the front.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

The woolly bugger was a good choice for a beginning fly to tie--- and a good one for catching fish.

Some other good patterns are Pheasant Tail and Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear Nymphs. They'll both teach you some good skills you'll need, are pretty easy to tie, and catch fish. They also use basic materials that are inexpensive-- and useful for a ton of other patterns.

What materials and hooks do you have now?

(we might be able to suggest some more patterns based on what you have already)

Where it will get expensive is when you get into tying dry flies with dry fly hackle. You'll want decent genetic hackle from roosters bred specifically for their "dry fly quality" feathers (stiff barbs of uniform length, thin flexible stems that are easy to wrap)--- these are different from the softer webbier feathers used for buggers.

It's very easy to get a bit carried away when first starting out-- the natural inclination is to want to tie one of everything. That can get expensive real quick-- a better way to go is to start out with 2-3 patterns in mind at a time, and get the materials for just those patterns-- tie a bunch-- at least 12 or so of each, and then pick a few more patterns.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:59 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

I second peregrines' recommendation on the woolly bugger pattern; probably one of the best to get you started on fly tying. It teaches thread wrapping (I know, sounds elementary, but it's an essential part of tying), tailing, body wrapping, hackling (palmered), optional ribbing and building a head. Materials are also inexpensive; thread, marabou, chenille, and hen hackle. Streamer hook sizes from #s4-16 will work (suggest that you start with perhaps a #8).

It's also a very forgiving pattern; it will catch fish for you - almost any way that you tie it!

Good luck and have fun!

Pocono
Old 01-21-2010, 07:53 PM

Jimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud of

My first fly tying class's first fly was the "woolly bugger".
IMO best bang for the buck (cost of materials to tie) is the "pheasant tail nymph".
Another good resourse is to google "how to tie a .........". In the list you will usually see at least one video. Sort of fun.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:15 PM

bekiu002 will become famous soon enoughbekiu002 will become famous soon enough

This probably sounds like a broken record by now but Woolly Bugger or pheasant tail nymph. Mainly because the they are fairly simple and the materials are cheap.
Cabot
Old 01-21-2010, 08:30 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

HARESEARS!!!!!! Easy and work EVERYWHERE plus it works when a Bugger doesn't, but not the other way around.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:18 PM

FliFysh is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your advice...I was also wondering if you can use coyote hair for dubbing rather than rabbit hair? I have a coyote mask and plenty of peacock herl, but thats about it besides thread and hooks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuronRiverDan View Post
For saving on materials, a lot of items sold in fly shops and catalogs can be found at craft stores; glass beads are one example. If you have friends that hunt ask them to save feathers etc...As far as hooks go, shop around and buy in bulk on hooks you use on a regular basis; E-Bay can be a good source.

Dan
My brother and uncle both hunt for deer, ducks, turkey, etc. so once I figure out what to ask for, I'll let them know to save some materials.

I only fish on days that end in Y.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:32 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Coyote could be cool. There is really no STRICT rules in fly tying. That is why more and more synthetics are coming out.