The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2010, 06:00 PM

wilky is a jewel in the roughwilky is a jewel in the roughwilky is a jewel in the rough
Default Classic vs Modern

whats everyone favorite type of flies to tie the modern ones or the old classics . for me i like to tie the old classic scots and english flies i get the inpression from alot of youtube tying instucion videos are modern flies not the old classic flies i hate the thought of them being lost and forgoten and lost even though times nd materials have advaced significantly over the years i still think theres a place for the classic flys .
what do you prefer to tie and do you tie the classic flies

vince
Old 01-22-2010, 09:52 PM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of
Default Re: Classic vs Modern

Vince I Like classical patterns and enjoy redescovering old patterns that are seldom fished or only found in old pattern books

Chris
Old 01-22-2010, 11:40 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Likewise. I've become a traditionalist over the years so I believe in perpetuating the original pattern. That and respect for whomever developed the fly.
That said I don't hesitate to buy and tie with new materials. In fact I like many of the newer type flies.
Old 01-23-2010, 12:26 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Vince: Ard is another member that really likes the classic patterns and he is a master at tying those beautiful salmon flies. He hasn't been posting lately, I'm thinking he is spending time out at his cabin.

Larry
Old 01-23-2010, 02:49 PM

wilky is a jewel in the roughwilky is a jewel in the roughwilky is a jewel in the rough

its nice to see some still tie the classics i enjoy seeing ards flys and really hope to tie like him one day if i'm lucky

vince
Old 01-23-2010, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

I'm like Jimmie and many others on this forum that enjoy tying a lot of different styles of flies including many modern ones---- but there's something about well tied classics that really is appealing-- I really enjoy seeing well tied patterns like

Bergman's wets
Carrie Steven's streamers
well proportioned classic Catskill Dries
"ye olde skoole" soft hackles and wets (like Scottish loch flies)

Wilky, keep an eye out for the stuff that Ard and Pocono tie up, along with all those beautiful creations our overseas tyers like Tob1, Jbbfly, Cicvara and Chrisinselwynnz come up with.

mark
Old 01-23-2010, 07:56 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I like both . I tie many classic flies. Alot of them may never see the water. I just like tying them. I tied a fly the other night called a tricolor, that has been around for at least a hundred years. There are a lot of people tying classic Atlantic Salmon flies, so I doubt they will be lost. There was just a thread about Bergman's feather wing flies. In the past several years there have been several articles in Fly Tyer covering Bergman's wet flies. It will be a long time before the classics are lost as long as people value the traditions of the art. Bergman's Colonel Fuller
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:38 PM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

Dan that fly is very nice I enjoy looking at married wing flies
Most clasical wets are too nice to fish

Chris
Old 01-23-2010, 10:55 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Dan that's a beauty!
Old 01-24-2010, 03:00 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys. Here is the fly I mentioned called the Tricolor. It's a classic Dee fly that has been around for at least a hundred years.
Click the image to open in full size.