The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2010, 10:45 PM

alcorn is on a distinguished road
Default Did the spider and now what?

On a whim I decided to take a fly tying class as an attempt to start to learn the skills need to tie some of my favorite fly patterns. The instructor first introduced us to the different tools, tells us what they were for and that sort of thing. He then showed us how to tie a spider. The kit that they gave us gives us enough material to tie five of each of the 11 fly we are going to learn. Next week is a wooley bugger and clouser minnow. I've got the spider down and am wanting to tie more. Should I
a. Go buy more material for spiders
b. Try a wooley bugger or clouser - the problem here being that I don't want to get over my head
c. Or you guys could shoot me a few easy patterns to look at
Let me know.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:51 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Did the spider and now what?

Look on you tube for step by step videos. There are a bunch of them. Pick one that looks like it is in your zone and go for it. Good luck on it.

I just looked and there are some good beginner ones. Just go on you tube and search learn fly tying and fly tying lessons.

Last edited by Guest1; 01-24-2010 at 11:11 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:02 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Tie Green Weenies. Fast, simple, and very productive! Buggers aren't very
difficult, so don't worry about that.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:12 AM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

No worries about getting in over your head....too late! You were doomed like the rest of us, right from the start.
YouTube is an awesome resource. Look up Davie Mcphail, great descriptive videos.
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.