The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2010, 07:44 PM

smallieman will become famous soon enoughsmallieman will become famous soon enough
Default I hate my fat fingers!!!!!!!!!!

Ok I need help. I need to us Partridge Hen hackle palmered the full length of the body. I cant figure out how to do this the hackle is so freaking small and I keep on breaking it. I have a hackle clamp and still nothing gots to be an easier way.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:36 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I hate my fat fingers!!!!!!!!!!

Are you tying it in at the tip? Also, if the stem is brittle, you can soak it in warm water before you tie it in. It makes the stem more flexible.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:21 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

It's probably not your fingers Smallie. Partridge seems to break easier than most. What's the fly?
Old 01-26-2010, 01:24 AM

smallieman will become famous soon enoughsmallieman will become famous soon enough

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:17 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

That's a beauty.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:36 AM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of

One technique I use for soft stems is to first pull the feather barbs back toward the stem root. Tye the root tip onto the hook and then attach the hackle pliers to both the feather tip and the thread. Spin the stem and the thread together and then use the thread to wrap the feather onto the hook shank. the thread allows for the needed pressure and also adds strength overall.

You can also put the feather into a thread loop and spin it up that way...like a dubbing loop proceedure.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:39 AM

what I dont understand is says to palmer the partridge feathers the length of the whole body but the feathers wont cover it with just one. Looks like I need like 3 or 4 feathers do I just tie them in and off as i need them?
Old 01-26-2010, 11:53 AM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of

Yes, multiple steps/feathers, you can also use more than one feather at a time to get a more dense fly. As you palmer up the hook towards the hook eye, just keep tying off and on more feathers until you get the coverage needed.

Also, more than one feather at a time may provide the extra stregth you need without needing the thread though having the thread in there as well will help in making the fly last longer.