Marco Polo Fly-Tying Tool Kit

Noiso

Reaction score
I am interested in this Marco Polo Fly-Tying Tool Kit and cannot find any reviews online. Has anybody laid their hands on one of these? If so are the tools good quality as well as the vise. This will be my first vise, and I figure I can eventually get a nicer vise for home and use this one for travel. The tools in the kit could be used for both home and travel.

Reading through the old posts on beginner kits, seems like a few more bobbins would complete the set up nicely and this one doesn't come with a bunch of materials that may be inferior, stale or go unused. A bit pricey - but I've found one used, still pricey though so I'd love any input.

Amazon has vendors of which Orvis is amongst. Check 'em out here:
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=1264519948/ref=sr_nr_seeall_2?ie=UTF8&rs=&keywords=marco%20polo%20fly%20tying&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Amarco%20polo%20fly%20tying%2Ci%3Asporting"]C&F Design Marco Polo Fly Tying System[/ame]

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Noiso,

The Marco Polo kits I saw were from $550 to $650 and that is a lot of money for any fly tying kit. I couldn't find a kit like your picture so maybe it is a bit cheaper. Before I can make any recommendations you need to tell us how much that kit cost.

Frank

Noiso

Reaction score
I actually just want to know if the tools are of decent to high quality - I am not so concerned about the price as I found a used one for a decent price and have a couple bucks to burn because of some music gear I've been selling on eBay/CL. I am mostly concerned with the tools being usable and durable. In reviews of other tying tools I see that the bobbins can be so crappy they snag and damage thread etc. They are high priced - does the quality match the price?

sorry for posting in the wrong place - I thought about whether or not to post the question in another section, but I see such general tackle and various other questions in the general discussion which always seems to have more traffic.

tob1

Reaction score
I have the Marco Polo and the tools in the set are very solid and practical.
If you buy the tools separate the costs for the tools will be about the same as the hole set.
There are lots of offers on the Internet and after some search you will find that the prices will vary for about 50 percent.

Trygve;)

PS. I have also the C&F Reference vise and I am very satisfied with both vises.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Noiso,

Well if Trygve likes them that is all the endorsement you need. If you think the price is good there is no reason not to get it.

No problem with moving your thread. Post in the General Forum get lost when others come to the site looking for information. A fly tier would look in the Fly Tying Forum for questions about fly tying. It is true there are post in the General Form that belong in other forums. When I see an obvious one I usually move it. Unfortunately I don't see every post, every day,so some get by.

Frank

FrankB2

Reaction score
I would say that it depends on what type of flies your going to be tying. The
Marco Polo is meant to be a portable vise, for people who like to tie right at
the stream. I wouldn't recommend it unless you found one for less than $150,
especially as it will be your first vise. You can get some screaming nice vises
for $150 and less, and they have more features and versatility than the Marco
Polo: Peak Vise, HMH Spartan, Renzetti Traveller, Danvise, etc....

Noiso

Reaction score
Thanks guys,
eBay and Amazon have them at 649.00. I found one "like new" on Craigslist for 450.00, but the guy wrote back and said he can't find it, suspects his 2 year old may have been playing with it, and he'd get in touch when he found it. I thought, for a high quality vise and all the tools it might be a good deal.

I don't really need a travel vise, yet, but I know myself pretty well. I will be tying flies in the field once I get set up - if anything it'll keep me from getting into the evening's whiskey when it's a 100+ degrees afternoon and the fish are all hiding.

Picking up a kit like that and then buying a nice "home" vise seems like an efficient route. I would appreciate a less expensive route, but I do want to make sure I get quality gear that will encourage me to tie more often and will retain its value in case I want to sell down the road.

I will research and try out the gear you mentioned. I will also revisit old posts on the topic. I really want a set up that any of you long time tyers would find pleasurable to tie with.

Thanks again,

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Noiso,

I suggest you take a look at what Peak has to offer. The have kits that would be something I would be happy tying with. Three sizes of jaws and everything they sell has a lifetime warranty. One kit has a second head, an instruction book and the tool has all the options you need except a C-Clamp, in case you wanted one. It has a nice C-Clamp setup but I have not seen it. The Pedestal Base is made from steel and very stable.

Frank

Took Kit

Accessory Kit

C-Clamp

---------- Post added at 07:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:48 PM ----------

There is also the Mark Petitjean tool set. They are made in Switzerland and are costly. This complete set runs $189. I have not seen them but we could get someone to check them out for you. I think there are nine tools in the kit.

Frank

Noiso

Reaction score
Awesome! I did research on line and with the search function here at NAFFF - ended up buying the Peak model you so wisely advised. Looks like a set up that will make any tyer happy. I now will need some extra tools and tying material. Where do you guys procure your materials?

FrankB2

Reaction score
Local shops are a great place to find materials, but they often run low on
inventory. If you can't find what you need locally, try Cabela's and Hook & Hackle. There should be a thread on this page about buying materials for
first-time tyers.

If you're going to tie flies #16 and smaller, buy a midge jaw for your Peak
vise. I've had my Peak for almost 3 years, but just bought the midge jaws.
The standard will work down to a #20, but the midge jaws are worth the
additional $35. ;)

P.S. I see you're in San Francisco. Try Leland Outfitters for most all of your ff'ing needs.

peregrines

Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator
Reaction score
Awesome! I did research on line and with the search function here at NAFFF - ended up buying the Peak model you so wisely advised. Looks like a set up that will make any tyer happy. I now will need some extra tools and tying material. Where do you guys procure your materials?
Noiso-

As i remember you'll be tying mostly stuff for trout... if that's right, then for tools, at a minimum you'll need

Bobbin for holding thread spool - avoid cheap Asian imports that tend to have burrs that cut thread and poor welds that fall apart. Instead get a Griffin metal tube (7 bucks) or better would be a one with a ceramic tube (about 13.00)

Bodkin- any will do, 2 bucks. Get one with a hex handle so it doesn't roll off your bench

Scissors a pair with fine point about 4" long (5 bucks) or better would be a pair fo Dr Slick or Anvil (13-20 bucks)

Hackle Pliers- "English" style or "EZ Plastic Push Button" style 2 bucks

Hair stacker- for evening up the tips of hair for wings on stuff like Elk Hair Caddis, Wulffs, etc. Get a metal, preferably double ended stacker with one end for shorter hair and one for medium length hair

Nice to haves:

Whip Finisher get a Matarelli (18 bucks) or Materelli style import (6-7 bucks)

Bobbin Threader- any 2 bucks. You can feed thread into the boobin tube and suck the end through like a straw, but this makes it easier.

Griffin Hackle Gauge- a gizmo that fits on the stem of your vise, it has a pin that you bend the stem of feathers around to measure the barb length against a series of rings-- it will help you select hackle to fit different hook sizes on dry flies. (5-6 bucks)

Instead of buying stuff separately you could get a Dr Slick Tool set for around 50 bucks. It's good quality and has:
- Bobbin with ceramic tube
- Scissors
- Bodkin
- Hackle Pliers
- Double ended hair stacker
- Matarelli Style Whip Finisher
- Bobbin threader

As far as materials, the best way to go is to avoid the temptation to tie one of everything right off the bat, and concentrate on a few patterns at a time, buying the materials you need for those patterns, tie a bunch of them before you move on to other patterns. Add to your inventory of stuff as you add 2-3 more additional patterns.

A good shop is worth it's weight in gold-- and many of them will have fly tying classes this time of year. Classes are a great way to get going--- and Lelands is great if they're near you in the Bay Area. They can suggest patterns and help you pick out materials.

If you don't have a shop nearby and want some suggestions for patterns and materials just give us a shout here. Folks would be happy to help you get started.

mark

HuronRiverDan

Reaction score
Noiso-

As i remember you'll be tying mostly stuff for trout... if that's right, then for tools, at a minimum you'll need

Bobbin for holding thread spool - avoid cheap Asian imports that tend to have burrs that cut thread and poor welds that fall apart. Instead get a Griffin metal tube (7 bucks) or better would be a one with a ceramic tube (about 13.00)

Bodkin- any will do, 2 bucks. Get one with a hex handle so it doesn't roll off your bench

Scissors a pair with fine point about 4" long (5 bucks) or better would be a pair fo Dr Slick or Anvil (13-20 bucks)

Hackle Pliers- "English" style or "EZ Plastic Push Button" style 2 bucks

Hair stacker- for evening up the tips of hair for wings on stuff like Elk Hair Caddis, Wulffs, etc. Get a metal, preferably double ended stacker with one end for shorter hair and one for medium length hair

Nice to haves:

Whip Finisher get a Matarelli (18 bucks) or Materelli style import (6-7 bucks)

Bobbin Threader- any 2 bucks. You can feed thread into the boobin tube and suck the end through like a straw, but this makes it easier.

Griffin Hackle Gauge- a gizmo that fits on the stem of your vise, it has a pin that you bend the stem of feathers around to measure the barb length against a series of rings-- it will help you select hackle to fit different hook sizes on dry flies. (5-6 bucks)

Instead of buying stuff separately you could get a Dr Slick Tool set for around 50 bucks. It's good quality and has:
- Bobbin with ceramic tube
- Scissors
- Bodkin
- Hackle Pliers
- Double ended hair stacker
- Matarelli Style Whip Finisher
- Bobbin threader

As far as materials, the best way to go is to avoid the temptation to tie one of everything right off the bat, and concentrate on a few patterns at a time, buying the materials you need for those patterns, tie a bunch of them before you move on to other patterns. Add to your inventory of stuff as you add 2-3 more additional patterns.

A good shop is worth it's weight in gold-- and many of them will have fly tying classes this time of year. Classes are a great way to get going--- and Lelands is great if they're near you in the Bay Area. They can suggest patterns and help you pick out materials.

If you don't have a shop nearby and want some suggestions for patterns and materials just give us a shout here. Folks would be happy to help you get started.

mark
Great advice from Mark; the only thing I have to add is buy a couple of the ceramic bobbins...

Dan

Noiso

Reaction score
Hey folks, thanks so much for all of the great help and advice.

My gal and I took a class together at Leland for our one year anniversary last Nov. I will buy materials from them as they are super cool - albeit pricier than online. I always buy a handful of flys, spare leaders, etc. before a trip, so they'll hopefully stay in biz forever. We will be back there to take a second class together - and seek other sources of local classes (Golden Gate Anglers perhaps have classes?) - plus the youtube treasure trove.

I bought the Peak Trailhead package that comes with "*Tool Caddy *Ritt Pick-N-Brush*Hex Stacker*Scissor*Bobbin*Whip Finisher*Hackle Plier*Threader" I understand I'll need some extra bobbins, extra scissors as far as tools go.
Thanks again!