The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2010, 07:27 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stacking Deer hair....

My guess is just to make it different enough so Whitlock and Dahlberg don't have a third guy to yell about. It might not dive as well, and make more surface comotion. Only thing I can see in cutting that way.
Old 01-30-2010, 01:38 AM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmooney View Post
anyone who has ever used deer hair in a fly should check out this guy...its insane what he can make with the stuff!!!

Featured Fly Tiers - Warmwater Fly Tyer - by Ward Bean
After putting this guys site in my favorites, I tried tying his Mikes Diver. This is only a size 10 hook, And I used to much hair in each step, so I ran out of room for the last two dots. But I have the dots with nice even borders, and can put the colors where I want them. Provided I don't run out of hook that is. In case you guys want to do this stuff, I'm adding this you tube video I used to figure this out. He shows it pretty well.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-30-2010, 01:54 AM

rmooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nice

that is an really good video, ive watched it probably 15 times over the last year.

dan, is that a raccoon zonker on your diver? that looks really good!
Old 01-30-2010, 08:45 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

That's the guy I saw last week on youtube, Dan! I never really
saw how spots were put in before seeing Ward Bean.

That latest diver looks great. You're on a roll!
Old 01-30-2010, 11:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmooney View Post
dan, is that a raccoon zonker on your diver? that looks really good!
Nope, just rabbit. It's a magnum strip. I use them for Pike flies, and regular zonker strip get killed to easy. Magnum strips seem to only get wrecked when I whack stuff with my back cast. That is a great video isn't it? It's got everything you need to learn to stack like a champ.
Old 01-30-2010, 03:35 PM

rmooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nice

i didnt do much stacking on this fly, but it is spun deer hair

i went to gander mountain today to buy some hair, and they had ONE patch of hair, and it was green, which i wanted. i wanted toget some other colors to stack, but oh well.

Old 01-30-2010, 04:08 PM
Banned

I'll bet the Pike would be all over that fly! What size hook is it on?
Old 01-30-2010, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
I'll bet the Pike would be all over that fly! What size hook is it on?
the hook is a 3/0, and the fly is about 5-6 inches long. i wanted the deer hair head to be a bit large, so i couldnt trim it down too much, so it doesnt look that dense. i read in an interview with chris helm that his secret to super dense bodies is A LOT of hair. he said he uses about 4 pencils worth of hair all the time! i cant handle that much hair, it starts to get uneven on me! i used about 2-3 pencils worth for this fly.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:16 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Awesome....remember water proof markers ;-)
Old 01-30-2010, 11:13 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Neat video Diver Dan. Thank you for sharing that. Do you know how we find him trimming that same fly?