The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2010, 05:01 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Stacking Deer hair....

Are there any of you guys and gals out there who have become really good at stacking hair? I don't mean lining the tips up in a stacker either. I mean as in flairing hair in making things Like the Whitlock's fruit cocktail. I was recently in a flyshop in Duluth and watched a guy doing it. He was amazing. I decided to give it a try. Between watching him and You Tube, I have the basics down, and am liking it a bunch. Have any of you got any good tips? This is fly number three. A small "Parrot" colored Dahlberg.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:12 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future
Default Re: Stacking Deer hair....

That is a beauty Diver Dan. You should be giving tips.
Our leader (a bunch of us get together to tie) just showed us a bunch of in's and out's for spinning deer hair. One of his tips was to cut the first batch real short before you spin it so it didn't get hung up on the hook, but I can see in your tie where you had to leave it long. How do you do that?
Old 01-28-2010, 06:14 PM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of

thats a great looking job of stacking Dan.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:17 PM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

That's one colorful fly Dan. The deer hair looks great, I should be so good at that.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:01 PM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie View Post
That is a beauty Diver Dan. You should be giving tips.
Our leader (a bunch of us get together to tie) just showed us a bunch of in's and out's for spinning deer hair. One of his tips was to cut the first batch real short before you spin it so it didn't get hung up on the hook, but I can see in your tie where you had to leave it long. How do you do that?
I took about two pencils worth, did the three thread wraps, worked it down so it surrounded the hook and then holding the end toward the tail, pulled the thread tight not allowing it to spin. It makes the skinny tip ends of the hair lay flatter while flairing well in the front. It helps cover the thread wraps for the tail, and makes a good start for the head. The tricky part is making those color patterns after that. You can't really see it in the photo, but the bottom is orange, and pretty much just orange. A little of the blue crept into the edges. The yellow is only where you see it on top. The guy I watched doing it made the spots real perfect ovals with a thin black border. The fifth fly I tried doing this with is white with blue ovals. I used just the two colors because I have a lot of white, and I was just trying to get the color ovals thing down. I think it came out pretty well for my fifth attempt. The guy I watched doing this that inspired me to attempt this told me it took him two years of tying alot of these to get where he's at. I believe him. There is no blue in the bottom. It's just in the ovals.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:21 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice Work, Dan! I watched a guy doing a Dahlberg Diver on youtube a few
days ago, and he spent a good bit of time putting in little spots on top, etc.
I hate to have deer hair all over the place, so I do it about once a year.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:23 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

HOLY COW!!!! Dan, they are awesome. I do hair, but more for like Kelly Galloup flies, not the great colors you got there.

I did a perch once, but it looks more like a Chernobyl Mouse or something:

the top one.

We aren't WORTHY!!!!!
Old 01-28-2010, 08:43 PM
Banned

Wow, nice flies Joni! I like the Perch's mowhawk. Mr. T of Perch flies. Maybe a gold hook next time? You do a very good jod of keeping the colors seperated. In the first fly I showed, you can see some of my colors kinda wandered a bit.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:44 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

What?! It's perfect.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:33 PM

boser has a spectacular aura aboutboser has a spectacular aura aboutboser has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
What?! It's perfect.
I agree joni, thy are perfect..... once you see mine you'll know why I said that

Regards, Boser