The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2011, 09:15 PM

diamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to all
Default EHC Tips and Tricks?

I'm still new to fly fishing and fly tying, but supposedly the caddisfly hatch is just starting on my favorite streams. And I'm going to tie up a bunch.

I tied up some basic black EHCs, but I was wondering if anyone had pointers or favorite caddis recipes. Either wet or dry is fine. Give me some ideas!

A couple newbie questions: How much hair is appropriate for the wings? I've got some deer belly hair that I found. But I don't know the proper amount per hook size. Nothing seems to look quite right. Will other types of hair (horse? dog? rabbit?) work? Silly idea, but pine straw's about the same consistency as deer belly hair. Does that work? What should I use as a tail? Hackles or no hackles?

For the record, I'm fishing the driftless area of Minnesota. Please enlighten me!
Old 04-10-2011, 09:26 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan
Default Re: EHC Tips and Tricks?

Diamond, take a look on you tube for tying videos for various caddis; you could also check out Blue Ribbon Flies website, they have some great caddis videos...

Dan
Old 04-10-2011, 09:40 PM

gadfly_nj is on a distinguished road

Its hard to do better than a Lafontaine sparkle pupa for an emerger, and an x-caddis for a dry fly. Look up the x-caddis - its tied with no hackle and a bit of antron or xelon off the back for a trailing shuck. A traditional EHK with hackle is great for faster, broken water where you need a better floating fly.

Also, if you are new to tying, you should try using caribou instead of deer or elk hair. It is very buoyant, and MUCH easier to work with.

Regarding the other types of hair you mentioned, it is important to note that not all hair is buoyant. Deer, Elk, and Caribou are all buoyant because they are hollow. Rabbit hair is not, and I suspect that dog is not.

Good luck!
Old 04-11-2011, 12:16 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

My favorite dry has become the "Butch Caddis". Here's a tying link: Kelly Galloup Butch Caddis - 12:33 .
As far as your question about amount of hair I think less (more sparse) lends more to the natural wing shape of a caddis.

My favorite wet Barr's Graphic Caddis:
http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/fly...fm?parentID=97

Last edited by Jimmie; 04-11-2011 at 12:44 AM. Reason: added wet caddis
Old 04-11-2011, 03:28 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

deer, elk, moose......... this type of animal and possom have hollow hair. They will float best, you can also use a bunch of CDC under the wing.

To get good wing shape and stop it from spreading too much make one loose wrap around the hair stack (dont include the hook!) then right infront make another wrap including the hook slightly tighter then beside this one one more wrap as tight as you would normally tie (it should look like a step) the rest of the small head you form should not be on top of thease wraps or you will loose the wing shape the head shape is formed by the splayed hair butts and dont forget to cement the head wraps.

Chris

The New Zealand Flysite

"the fight is for habitait. Once its continuation is assured the fish will largely look after themselves." KD
Old 04-11-2011, 07:16 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Here is a Caddis Larva pattern I like to use:
Shark's Caddis Larva - Juvinile - Global FlyFisher

Larry

Old 04-11-2011, 09:49 AM

diamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to all

Thanks for the tips, everyone! I'm going to sit down this evening and try out the patterns people recommend. Hopefully later this week I'll get out and fish the hatch. That way, the trout can be the ultimate judges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadfly_nj View Post
......and an x-caddis for a dry fly.Good luck!
Got a good x-caddis recipe? I think I've seen more caddis recipes searching the internet than there are caddisfly species.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:31 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond rush View Post
Thanks for the tips, everyone! I'm going to sit down this evening and try out the patterns people recommend. Hopefully later this week I'll get out and fish the hatch. That way, the trout can be the ultimate judges.

Got a good x-caddis recipe? I think I've seen more caddis recipes searching the internet than there are caddisfly species.
Check the Blue Ribbon Flies website...Craig's got quite a few videos posted there..

Dan
Old 04-11-2011, 12:43 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

On my home river, the dominate hatch of the year is the zebra caddis, know locally as the alderfly.
The fish key in on emerges that rocket up from the river bottom. Fish chasing them tend to breach in a splashy rise.
Adult caddis are only rarely seen on the water and those that are, have fallen from stream side bushes.
Egg layers do so on the bottom, and so appear as swimmers similar to the emergers.
For this particular hatch, an emerger pattern far more important than dry. And I think you'll find that to be true of many other caddis hatches as well

My go-to for the alderfly hatch is a simple peacock and partridge soft hackle.
Similar to this...
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:07 PM

gadfly_nj is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuronRiverDan View Post
Check the Blue Ribbon Flies website...Craig's got quite a few videos posted there..

Dan
Didn't see one from BRF, but here's one from Parks' Fly shop in Gardiner.